Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by upchuckserious View Post
    SAFP said she is doubling at the world championships.
    That's surprising. Where did you hear that? Did she say it in an interview today?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    Lane 9, very fast track; he was a 9.97/20.16 man before, so it's a big improvement but not a humongous one.
    That ever reliable source, Yutyoob, says that Xie has been working with Rana Reider for a couple of months each year, obviously to better effect than Schippers.

Also Su, who opened with a 10.05 in Shanghai, is working with Randy Huntington as part of Huntington's role as China coach. Huntington's prediction from last year also seems to be coming true.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    DAS also confirmed this was her plan for Doha.

Michael Johnson also said on the BBC that SMU was looking for a time change in the schedule where a 200/400 round are too close. He seemed more confident it could happen as it was time and not day.
    Isnt the w200 and w400 semifinals on the same day. I realize that currently there is only an hour apart but even getting more time between them seems terribly risky if they are on the same day. It's not like we are talking about the opening round, it's the SF.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by upchuckserious View Post
    SAFP said she is doubling at the world championships. Which means Elaine is likely doubling too.
    That would be amazing. As I stated before, I always had a feeling that Thompson would double, but I'm shocked SAFP is.

5. Collapse Details

Whilst all this was happening, over in Niger Aminatou Seyni was running a big 200m PB of 22.89. That was after a 23.21 heat, also a PB. And this was after two races at 400, a 53.31 heat and 50.90 final.
    So now her 200 time is finally representative of what she should be running. Her coach predicted 22.7-22.8.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    SAFP - Fully formed.
    DAS looks very good until she runs beside SAFP.

If she ever gets to the level of technical precision of SAFP, I think she would easily be running some amazing times.

7. Collapse Details

It makes sense for SAFP to double, or else why do the 200 at the nationals. She wouldn't risk injury etc unless she was serious about running it in Doha. And same for Thompson.

It's interesting that current No.1's Thompson and SMU still don't have an individual World Championship gold yet to go with their Olympic gold. Will it change for both this year?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    DAS looks very good until she runs beside SAFP.
    That's because 10.7 and 10.9 do look very different! When SAFP (and Thompson) are in that form they are on another level to everyone else.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Whilst all this was happening, over in Niger Aminatou Seyni was running a big 200m PB of 22.89. That was after a 23.21 heat, also a PB. And this was after two races at 400, a 53.31 heat and 50.90 final.
    So now her 200 time is finally representative of what she should be running. Her coach predicted 22.7-22.8.
    I tried to recall any prominent Nigerien athletes but failed, but that's not unusual. I had to resort to Wikipedia to find that there have been none before.

According to that source, the national record before Seyni's emergence was 25.09 by Halima Issoufou in 2005. This was on an artificial track in Niamey, the capital of Niger.

The national records are modest across the board, noting that the W4x100 NR is 49.08 from 2001 and the M400 is only 48.06.

However, this is not surprising for a country at the bottom of just about every development index - they have more important things to focus on.

10. Collapse Details

Some more info re Seyni

The meeting was the Tournoi de la Solidarite' which featured athletes from Benin, Burkina, Mali, Niger & Togo.

I got the heat/final mixed up in the 200m:

200m Heat:
    Seyni 22.89
    Mariam Bance (NIG) 24.76

200m Final:
    Seyni 23.21
    Mariama Mamoudou (NIG) 24.45
    Bance 24.75

400m Heat:
    Seyni 53.31
    Koumba Sidibe (MLI) 56.59

400m Final:
    Seyni 50.90
    Mariama Mamoudou (NIG) 54.19

Her coach is Claude Guillaume.

After this 200m PB, an informed friend is saying Seyni could go 23.6 + 25.0 ....which would be a very fast 48.6 You'd expect that to win everything, if not for SMU being in such amazing form. <text removed on request....>

Maybe SMU can do the double after all (unless ET is in 21.6-21.7 form again....which she may well be)
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 07-22-2019 at 08:58 AM.