Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I don't think high school students read magazines anymore...

Besides that's a lot if every high school got one....I really don't see gh finding the addresses for 36,000 high schools and paying for each school to get a copy....

There's no lack of information on professional track...YouTube...online...and still they don't care...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    There just isn't much of a market for sports where athletes compete as individuals....
    What about tennis and golf?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    A decade and a half ago I was on these forums suggesting that T&FNews could help grow the sport by sending a free copy to every high school in the country. It still couldn't hurt . . .
    I must have forgotten about the part where you offered to pay for that. :-)

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    What about tennis and golf?
    Golf is basically a rich guy's sport so it doesn't need much of an audience....watch the ads...mostly how to invest your millions...tennis isn't much different...

5. Collapse Details

A decade and a half ago I was on these forums suggesting that T&FNews could help grow the sport by sending a free copy to every high school in the country. It still couldn't hurt . . .
    I'm several states away from my collection, but I am almost certain that TFN has never exceeded 30K in circulation. gh might tell you that >doubling circulation with no increase in income is fatal.

The sad story of publishing is that legitimate publications have minuscule circulation compared to what they deserve. During the recent Wimbledon tournament several publications had great analyses of Federer-Nadal and Federer-Djokovic. People magazine led with Meghan Markle wearing the same green dress she wore at a previous Wimbledon (complete with pictures!). Who sold more copies?

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I'm probably the last generation that appreciated magazine subscriptions as a kid. I got Sports Illustrated for Kids, International Gymnast, some magazine that USA Gymnastics sent to all members, and then Track & Field News at the end of HS, when I started track.

7. Collapse Details

Hell, I think hardly anyone reads magazines anymore. That is why so many have folded or on the verge of folding.

8. Collapse Details

Besides that's a lot if every high school got one....I really don't see gh finding the addresses for 36,000 high schools and paying for each school to get a copy....

There's no lack of information on professional track...YouTube...online...and still they don't care...
    I think I vaguely recall when USATF began as TAC/USA in 1980, their sending a training instruction book to every high school.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    Hell, I think hardly anyone reads magazines anymore. That is why so many have folded or on the verge of folding.
    I was a hard copy newspaper & magazine holdout until a couple of years ago when my local newspaper annoyed me enough in not delivering the Sunday paper on time or at all a few times. So I cancelled it and began reading online. After maybe two weeks I was so comfortable reading online that I now prefer to read everything on line including the few books I end up reading.

10. Collapse Details

Only speaking for myself, but as a high-school miler of no note I never would have developed an interest in T&F in general if my coach had not had a subscription to T&FNews to share. A decade and a half ago I was on these forums suggesting that T&FNews could help grow the sport by sending a free copy to every high school in the country. It still couldn't hurt . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I must have forgotten about the part where you offered to pay for that.
    There are far deeper pocket than mine that could easily afford to double Garry's production run if they wanted.

It's a proactive way to promote the larger sport to the already involved. You could get new lifelong subscribers (worked on me) or sell products (used to work on me). Admittedly magazines are not a teen craze but if you get one kid per school to subscribe when he leaves then you more than doubled the press run. The key to the sport's success as a spectator sport is developing lifelong fans, which this idea will do.

Good for T&FN, good for USATF, good for the NCAA, good for the NFHS & good for Nike and their competitors. For some of those the cost would be couch cushion change . . .
    Last edited by bad hammy; 07-19-2019 at 10:54 PM.