Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

It received a lot more coverage years ago when there were much fewer options of sports to participate in and to televise and now there is greater competition for air time.
    Last edited by cladthin; 07-18-2019 at 10:42 PM.

2. Collapse Details

In many places, high school track is treated as an almost recreational activity as much as a competitive sport like football, basketball. It seems that many donít identify and live and breath it like they do in other sports. Throw in the kids who run it to Ďstay in shapeí for other sports, and itís treated almost as a secondary fitness activity at the HS level.

Not to mention the effort you have to make to follow the professional track scene compared to the inescapable football, basketball media. Iíd bet 90% of HS track athletes donít even know what the Diamond League is and I frankly donít blame them. There simply has been no effort made to make meets compelling or accessible to watch.

3. Collapse Details

Having been a part of a high school team as athlete and then coach years ago and then watching other programs one reason some former athletes might have not been life long fans of the sport might come from the way people conduct their programs. Some coaches don't instill discipline, ed.- DON'T take roll, let people miss practices or consistently be late without repercussions, allow some to come out for the sport mid way into the year, etc. Some coaches have cheapened the sport, in my opinion, by not treating track and field as other sports have been conducted that I've been a part of too such as football.
    Last edited by cladthin; 07-18-2019 at 11:20 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Not even that many college track people follow the sport after graduation...
    Again, I cannot agree with you more.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by cladthin View Post
    Having been a part of a high school team as athlete and then coach years ago and then watching other programs one reason some former athletes might have not been life long fans of the sport might come from the way people conduct their programs. Some coaches don't instill discipline, take roll, let people miss practices or consistently be late without repercussions, allow some to come out for the sport mid way into the year, etc. Some coaches have cheapened the sport, in my opinion, by not treating track and field as other sports have been conducted that I've been a part of too such as football.
    So if high track was run like the Marines....they would suddenly become Diamond League fans....Okey Dokey....

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    So if high track was run like the Marines....they would suddenly become Diamond League fans....Okey Dokey....
    Nice interpretation. I was talking about how the sport is viewed and possibly not respected, not followed by former high school athletes is a bi-product of how loosely some conduct their programs. Some coaches who run such programs cheapen the sport in comparison to how it is viewed vs. other sports.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    There just isn't much of a market for sports where athletes compete as individuals....

8. Collapse Details

Track and field is certainly not "dead" at least with respect to the original subject of this thread-high school participation. We've heard for a number of years that it was #2 during much of that time for boys and #1 for girls but that's the first time I've seen the combined statistics with it being #1 overall.

9. Collapse Details

My cousin's wife (she turned 76 last March) told me that she has never been to a track meet in her life. She grew up in Los Angeles.

10. Collapse Details

So the bottom line appears to be that track is fun to participate in and boring to watch. From what I see on TV I tend to agree.

Only speaking for myself, but as a high-school miler of no note I never would have developed an interest in T&F in general if my coach had not had a subscription to T&FNews to share. A decade and a half ago I was on these forums suggesting that T&FNews could help grow the sport by sending a free copy to every high school in the country. It still couldn't hurt . . .