Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

A footnote. I think something similar happened with newspapers. There was a time when newspaper coverage of sports was largely impersonal. If you have access to them, take a look at major newspapers' coverage of baseball, football, basketball, etc--and track--in the 1920s, 30s, 40s, and even into the 50s IIRC. Game coverage generally consisted of the reporter telling you what happened--how the game played out and how it was won and lost. No quotes from the athletes.

At some point, certainly by the '60s, athlete/coach/manager quotes become obligatory. The participants' thoughts and feelings were considered by editors to be at least as important to their readers as the observations and analyses of their professional writers.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That's right....I remember the LA Olympics as one continuous Up Close and Personal with actual track events thrown in occasionally....but I forgot the Munich coverage had a lot....there was one of Erich Segal running with Shorter on Magnolia Road near Boulder and with Pre I think in Hendricks Park...

3. Collapse Details

Is it really necessary to put all action on hold and spend 5 to 10 minutes before a 20-second sprint race going from lane to lane showing close-ups of each athlete and mumbling a past accomplishment that the average viewer is probably not going to care about or understand?

4. Collapse Details

Lane-by-lane introductions with close-ups and a mention of one or two major past accomplishments takes less than two minutes. I believe that helps the average viewer put the race in perspective and provides a context, without which they might just as well be watching a random bunch of high school kids or robots.

5. Collapse Details

The Hoi Polloi do care....that is why TV does it...of course like any reality show they completely forget....

6. Collapse Details

I agree with tandfman.. a quick scan and brief intro of starting line is worthwhile...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I agree with tandfman.. a quick scan and brief intro of starting line is worthwhile...
    The key word is brief. I recall CBS covering track meets in the 1970s spending a fraction of the time on introductions. The action moved along and it was no less enjoyable. I suspect the TV ratings also were higher.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    The key word is brief. I recall CBS covering track meets in the 1970s spending a fraction of the time on introductions. The action moved along and it was no less enjoyable. I suspect the TV ratings also were higher.
    The Halcyon Days of track on TV....

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    What drove me nuts was during the Pan Ams when they played every single victory ceremony and national anthem. Huge amounts of wasted viewing time.
    Other than that, I really enjoyed the coverage. They did a really good job of moving back and forth to field events instead of just showing the event's "star" or the winning jump/throw. Watching it, you felt like there was other stuff going on at the meet other than the running event being shown.

The victory ceremonies were ridiculous though. They should've just caught up on the field events during that time to keep the viewers interested.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    Other than that, I really enjoyed the coverage. They did a really good job of moving back and forth to field events instead of just showing the event's "star" or the winning jump/throw.
    Dwight Stones mentioned on air that it was a local producer, not an ESPN one. Too bad there is exactly zero chance a US producer will ever emulate this.