Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I don't think the problem is youth participation. We have lots of kids participating in USATF and AAU youth programs and a million kids on HS track teams. They are not growing up to be adult fans in large enough numbers.
    This has always been the case. Out of my high school and collegiate rosters, there is one fan and has always been one fan....me. In addition, in over 20 further years competing very seriously in road racing and some track meets, there were very few track fans. I can think of one who is probably at least a lurker on this board. Again, not a new phenomena.

2. Collapse Details

I find that most high school and college track and field athletes aren't fans of the sport even while they're competing. It's only at elite programs that athletes can even name the top pros in their own event.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Bill Freehan certainly seems pretty worked up about Walker's great feat.
    Yeah, that was a brutal year for the Tigers ... they won the division in 72 under Billy Martin, then started plummeting under Ralph Houk. 102 losses in 75 ... RIP Bill ("Behind the Mask" was 1st sports book I read in 72; Ball Four was too grownup for me at the time, LOL)

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    The victory ceremonies were ridiculous though. They should've just caught up on the field events during that time to keep the viewers interested.
    Did they do the abbreviated anthems like they did with Pan Am U20s?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Did they do the abbreviated anthems like they did with Pan Am U20s?
    They seemed interminable.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    They seemed interminable.
    DVR is your friend.

7. Collapse Details

Okay, the solution to getting more interest in our sport has been clearly outlined by GH in his editorial about how to make the 400m even better. The one turn stagger. It will not only make the race more interesting, it will add just a touch of "someone is about to get out of control and start wailing on that other guy with his baton". As a lifelong southerner, I know for a fact that no one watches NASCAR to see cars go fast (sorry Ricky Bobby); the watch it for the wrecks.

But honestly, GH is on to something. I think it deserves serious consideration.

8. Collapse Details

An anecdote that doesn't prove anything....summer of 1976, I had finished 8th grade and had three or four issues of TAFNEWS under my belt. My teammate, Jon W. had finished 9th grade. My Dad had bought our first color TV for the Montreal Olympics. We were talking about the OG, Jon was a Bayi man, I was a Walker man. Jon was a Juantorena guy, me a Boit fan. On one of the weekend Olympic track days, can't recall which, Jon wanted me to join him and his sister and mom at Brown's Lake in southern Indiana. I said no way, I wanted to watch the Olympics. He got kind of pissed at me for not going. I thought he was crazy to miss the meet. He just wasn't that big of a fan. (We argued for months about who would have won the 800 and the 1500 had the African nations not boycotted.)

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    There has been a call for the one turn stagger 400 for ages....the sooner the better....they do it indoors and it works.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    I do not know what part of the country you come from but have to disagree. In NJ, at least, the team competition at the HS Level is very real and a big deal. At the college level, much less do. For most colleges, the only team competition that matters is the league meet. A few colleges are competitive at the NCAA team level but for most, it is mostly about trying to get an athlete or two to qualify for the meet.
    I am talking about the national level not the state level; I never indicated no interest at the state level where there are local teams against each other. At the NXN, only a few teams are in and competitive and I have never had the slightest interest in who those teams are.

As for not much interest in NCAA XC and teams, I guess that maybe you do not get to LetsRun too often (not a bad choice in the use of one's time ignoring that site).