Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
  1. Collapse Details

The NCAA XC is a great event and I wish it would have a greater audience. Nevertheless, the vast majority of college teams have no shot at ever being in it. And in college T&F, there is sadly not much team competition for various reasons discussed on this board in recent years. A handful of colleges each bring a handful of athletes to one meet a year to win a men’s or women’s title.

As to the high schools, the spectator interest at state XC meets is far more significant and important regarding team competition than the NXN meet. I bet that the spectators at fifty state high school XC meets is greater than the total spectators for all of college XC. In short, the sport needs to build spectator interest wherever it can find it.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I've been to state cross country meets in Illinois and Minnesota and yes they are exciting....but generally the only spectators are those with a relative running.

The NCAA which I've been to a few times is the same story....

But this is nothing new....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-23-2019 at 08:32 PM.

3. Collapse Details

The sad thing is that with chip technology, XC could be a very interesting spectator event to even casual spectators (not just in person but on television) with intermediate scores throughout the race. But the NCAA or others would have to see the value in doing it.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    When it is shown on TV like the Big Ten channel they usually do have the real time scores....it's interesting....but I don't think viewership was ever high....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-25-2019 at 04:20 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I've been to state cross country meets in Illinois and Minnesota and yes they are exciting....but generally the only spectators are those with a relative running.

The NCAA which I've been to a few times is the same story....

But this is nothing new....
    What is the typical attendance at the NCAA XC meet? Last year in Madison there were about 7000, although that included athletes and coaches, so a little over 6000 (despite a bit of overnight snow and temperatures of 28-29).