Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

From my foxhole, as someone who stumbled into Track and Field almost by accident, I think we are not presenting the sport well on television. Try treating it like a real sport, and not do human interest stories like was done for so long. Don't take precious air time to interview each winner of a race, immediately after the race.

I realize that there is an effort to make meets more entertaining. I applaud the effort, but more must be done to catch the attention of the viewing public.

Maybe we should take an approach like ESPN does with the X Games. Make the races more dangerous!

Okay, ignore that last line.

2. Collapse Details

I agree. Post-race interviews are a waste of airtime..nothing momentous has ever been uttered by an exhausted athlete..there are only so many ways to ask/answer "how do you feel" and "what does this victory mean to you".
    One favorite exception: Mary Cain's reply when questioned about her motivation/strategy/thoughts
    in a thrilling, come from behind win.."I just ran like an animal."
    Last edited by lonewolf; 08-13-2019 at 03:23 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I agree. Post-race interviews are a waste of airtime..
    It may be to you and to me, but tv people will tell you that their research shows that most viewers want to know about the people (up close and personal) and want to hear what they have to say after their event. (Oh, isn't that nice--he thanked his/her coach/spouse/parents/whatever.)

4. Collapse Details

What drove me nuts was during the Pan Ams when they played every single victory ceremony and national anthem. Huge amounts of wasted viewing time.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    It may be to you and to me, but tv people will tell you that their research shows that most viewers want to know about the people (up close and personal) and want to hear what they have to say after their event. (Oh, isn't that nice--he thanked his/her coach/spouse/parents/whatever.)
    I don't watch much sports on TV anymore but I don't recall a lot of up-close-and-personals while watching MLB or NFL games, or interviews after every home run or touchdown. Those sports still do pretty good business on television . . .

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    I don't watch much sports on TV anymore but I don't recall a lot of up-close-and-personals while watching MLB or NFL games, or interviews after every home run or touchdown. Those sports still do pretty good business on television . . .
    But those are real sports and quite different from the Olympics....which really for most people is a 2 week reality show....and as tandfman wrote the public likes that crap....let's get to know the contestants....Bachelor No.1....

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    What drove me nuts was during the Pan Ams when they played every single victory ceremony and national anthem. Huge amounts of wasted viewing time.
    Of course.....all these little countries are getting their plug....

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    If niche sports such as swimming and track and field were on TV as much as the major sports, there would be much less perceived up close and personal shown. The up close and personal is shown with the NFL and MLB but because typically it doesn't interfere with the action, it isn't noticed. MLB does do interviews from the dugout with the manager and/or player fairly often.

9. Collapse Details

When these close up and personal things started back over 30 years ago track was on quite a bit...

Comparing track with team sports is pointless...

MLB does these interviews because the games are so dull...

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    When these close up and personal things started back over 30 years ago track was on quite a bit........
    to be specific, 47 years ago (source, Washington Post)

<<By Norman Chad February 14, 1988
    CALGARY -- To prevent Olympic athletes from seeming too distant and impersonal to the American viewer, ABC Sports invented "Up Close and Personal" in 1972. So nowadays, those medal contenders from faraway lands competing in unfamiliar sports seem as close to home to us as, say, the Joneses next door.

It has become a marvelous bit of signature television. In fact, of Roone Arledge's innumerable innovations, none has epitomized ABC's Olympic style more than "Up Close and Personal."

This year, ABC has produced so many "Up Close and Personal" pieces -- a record 82 -- that viewers might end up knowing more about perfect strangers than they do their own families.,,,>>