Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    Or non-track people do track things (or create some more entertaining event formats that other athletes, and people out and about trying to be fit can do and compare themselves against the best).

Pretty tough to do have a NYC firefighter go enter and complete a decathlon - but he could run a 40, do a standing LJ, do a football long toss and run a mile and do a max reps on the bench press at 225 (which could all be scaled up/down as well) - and you'd have elite athletes from other sports do it, you could piggy back some crossfit stuff - etc. The NFL 40 yard dash contest a few weeks ago got huge viewership and gave away big prize money.

Easy format that you could have fastest kid/best combine on the block contest and gradually eliminate folks till you get to a final. I realize the thread was about HS T&F - but quickly got into why participation didn't lead to fanbase. We're talking about what makes fanbases. Doesn't mean the entire sport changes and you lose 100m runners, or shot putters, or decathletes - means there are things that could make it more accessible and more entertaining, and major elements are having it include things normal folks can do and compare themselves, and making it more like other contests they watch.

Golf, at least I can watch and see myself hitting shots like that (every now and then), or go play catch in the backyard on Thanksgiving, or doing bench press. As an ex T&F guy, I can see and appreciate the various events - but most can't. Most people wouldn't have noticed that C. Taylor was flat in his TF over the weekend, or that Warholm has an ugly right lead leg that either needs fixing or to maintain a 13 stride pattern.

And they wouldn't care. But they'd tune in for smart exhibition stuff - and I don't mean a street vault or a straight 150m race.
    You're wasting your breath, deca. If you haven't realized it yet, some of the posters on this board are only looking for solutions to T&F's dwindling popularity which don't involve actually changing anything about T&F. After all, it's completely reasonable to keep doing the same thing and expect improved results, right?
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 07-22-2019 at 09:17 PM.

2. Collapse Details

As individual sports go many more adults are apt to take up golf and tennis as lifetime sports rather than T&F as participants. Even during a person's middle-age years there is hope of improving your golf and tennis skills. Not so much in T&F.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    If we had kept doing the same thing from when track was really popular we would possibly be better off...and that was when the domestic scene was all imperial distances.....a measurement, unlike the metric system, the general public could and still does, relate to....

But as Wordsworth wrote...

Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind;
    In the primal sympathy
    Which having been must ever be...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    If we had kept doing the same thing from when track was really popular we would possibly be better off...and that was when the domestic scene was all imperial distances....
    I know that's a popular idea on this board, but even I, much more conversant in Imperial than metric (tho getting better), think that has very little to do with it. It's the huge explosive diversity of other sports that did us in. On the other hand, I have infinite optimism that our sport will not flicker out - precisely because of our overwhelming HS and college participation numbers.

5. Collapse Details

I don't think it is a popular idea here at all....I keep bringing it up....when I remind people elite track was, not that long ago,..really popular....

And Americans really don't like the metric system....and all our events are metric....

Except one...the Mile...which is probably the most popular track event...

Anyways it doesn't matter now....we crossed that bridge and all the fans on it long ago...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-22-2019 at 10:42 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I don't think it is a popular idea here at all....I keep bringing it up....when I remind people elite track was, not that long ago,..really popular....
    Please define "not that long ago".

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Not long ago = before the NFL became very popular

8. Collapse Details

Administrator

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    60s, 70s, early 80s...

It certainly was on a slow decline by then...as that thread notes...but going all metric was the final curtain....

Oh well....that's the way it goes... I don't think anything anyone does now is going to bring fans back... just hope the ones there are now don't die off too fast...

10. Collapse Details

Ive told it before, my first subscription to TAFNEWS was also an accident. Id asked for Runners World, spring of 1976, 8th grade, and my parents screwed up and got me TAFNEWS instead. I had not even heard of that magazine. First one that came I believe was June 1976, Harvey Glance and a few days later May 1976, Mac Wilkins. It was actually wonderful what with the Olympics upon us and the 1976 Olympic edition
    remains one of my all-time favorites.