Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    High School T&F Participation
    Administrator
    Cool visual on HS sports participation. Look at that big drop for football right at the end!

https://www.facebook.com/CoachTube/v...2492218949161/

2. Collapse Details

Very impressive. Basketball is gaining on football.

3. Collapse Details

Ironic that T&F has so much participation and so little coverage in the media.

Football is damaged goods in participation for several reasons: one is parent concern about safety issues. Also, the proliferation of sports draws big body boys into options like water polo, B-Ball, Volleyball that often demand one-sport specialization for kids with physical potential.The most unusual species in high school participation now is the really talented multi-sport athlete.

At the small public school where I used to teach a set of twins graduated this year who were throwbacks to olden times. Between the two of them, 21 varsity letters in an array of sports including soccer (a state championship team), volleyball, tennis and track. No football although both boys are big, strong and fast.

One of the guys split time between tennis and track in the spring and managed as a part timer to clock 22.77 and 50.54 in the long sprints. Would have been much faster as a full-time trackster but the twins had a lot of fun and in truth their choice for variety may have been healthier both physically and socially.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Nothing ironic about it....few follow track at all after high school....

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Nothing ironic about it....few follow track at all after high school....
    I could not agree with you more. And that include people who actually ran track. My track buddy and I have discussed this very topic many times. I have met people who ran track in high school, and after their high school careers were over and they did not go to college, they have never been to another track meet. They do not follow track nor do they attend meets.

6. Collapse Details

The interest in the sport might well increase if it were covered more extensively.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    I could not agree with you more. And that include people who actually ran track. My track buddy and I have discussed this very topic many times. I have met people who ran track in high school, and after their high school careers were over and they did not go to college, they have never been to another track meet. They do not follow track nor do they attend meets.
    I, too, have observed this and discussed this. I strongly suspect that a decent percentage of the guys who've played high school football or basketball continue to follow those sports and at least occasionally watch games on tv if not in person. Ditto people who've been on HS tennis teams. But if comparable percentages of HS track alums followed the sport later in life, I think our live spectator crowds and tv viewership numbers would be much larger than they are.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cladthin View Post
    The interest in the sport might well increase if it were covered more extensively.
    This is a chicken and egg issue. Newspaper and tv people will tell you that they don't cover the sport because they don't think many people are interested in it.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    This is a chicken and egg issue. Newspaper and tv people will tell you that they don't cover the sport because they don't think many people are interested in it.
    That's exactly what I was thinking as well that it could be one or the other but it's also my understanding that when track and field is televised that it's often described as getting good ratings though relative to what I don't know.
    Last edited by cladthin; 07-18-2019 at 09:44 PM.

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I, too, have observed this and discussed this. I strongly suspect that a decent percentage of the guys who've played high school football or basketball continue to follow those sports and at least occasionally watch games on tv if not in person. Ditto people who've been on HS tennis teams. But if comparable percentages of HS track alums followed the sport later in life, I think our live spectator crowds and tv viewership numbers would be much larger than they are.
    Not even that many college track people follow the sport after graduation...

To say if the media covered it people would watch ignores the fact it was once very popular ...covered extensively in the papers and on tv....and still it died.