Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I do not understand he "opiod" epidemic... Hell, I don't even know what opiods are. Apparently they are initially beneficial but people become addicted to them and they are detrimental in excess.
    I agree with user4.. why is the manufacturer of a legitimate product responsible for the public's abuse of the product? People are responsible for what they put in their bodies.. and that goes for any addiction.. I doubt few are forced to use harmful products.

2. Collapse Details

Do some research and get back to me about how great and innocent the Purdue Pharma folks are.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    A pharmaceutical company provides better drugs in a market place and informs the market of the benefits of its products. These drugs provide a remedy for debilitating pain and pain relief is vital to the advance of human life and to civilization. These drugs allow for life saving surgeries and they alleviate so much suffering that their value can not be quantified in mere dollars.

I am grateful for the Sacklers and their work to reduce the cost of pain relief medicines and the efficacy of pain relief. While I have never had serious need for pain relief I and family members have had surgeries of various types so I know the pain control component of surgery is essential.

I would never and can not fathom how a person could blame the maker of pain relief medicine for their own addictions. I doubt the addicts are the source of this fraud, rather it is the litigious blame and plunder economy of lawyering classes of scoundrels that attends the descent of every civilization.

There was a time in the distant past , 70 years ago when people would blame themselves for their own dissolution that accompanied their own bad habits and addictions.

But now, no matter how obvious ones addictions may be the result of their own slothfulness and life of leisure they never place the blame squarely on themselves and the enablers that they have sought out for their own self induced tragedies. No, instead they search for lawyers who can convince them that the deepest pocketed person, the one that is doing good for society is to blame for their tragic life.

I want to thank Purdue Pharma for making pain medications better and more cost effective so that surgeries can go more smoothly, so that men can go to work and be productive despite a horrible tooth ache, and countless other vital needs for pain relief medication. Thank you Purdue Pharma, thank you Sacklers!
    Many words. None of them addressing the issue.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Do some research and get back to me about how great and innocent the Purdue Pharma folks are.
    Actually I did a great deal of research before I wrote that post, I can find absolutely no evidence that Purdue Pharma coerced anyone to buy or use it's high quality effective pain relief products. I can only find Orwellian propaganda that assumes they are evil.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I do not understand he "opiod" epidemic... Hell, I don't even know what opiods are. Apparently they are initially beneficial but people become addicted to them and they are detrimental in excess.
    I agree with user4.. why is the manufacturer of a legitimate product responsible for the public's abuse of the product? People are responsible for what they put in their bodies.. and that goes for any addiction.. I doubt few are forced to use harmful products.
    This does not address exactly what you are asking, but this is all I am going to say on the subject of opioids.

I have spent my professional lifetime treating chronic non-cancer pain. It has become a lose-lose proposition. Physicians are criticized either for undertreatment of pain or overtreatment. Lately, it has been more of the latter. I am glad I am out of that nightmare.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Astonishing playbook, first facts are presented and then huffing and puffing as boogie man assumptions are dressed around the facts until the facts are completely hidden from sight.

Same old story in the "well-heeled-lawyer classes blame and plunder the productive corporation game".

The assumptions are always the same, that for every ill on the face of the earth there is a wealthy corporation that must be plundered to stop it. The wolf pack and vultures seek a new kill and they circle until they get it. And on and on it goes, as wealth is transferred from productive corporations, drugs, energy, food etc. into the hands of the lawyerly classes of thieves who forever use the people as their tool to plunder and keep the lions share of the booty for themselves.
    Last edited by user4; 07-20-2019 at 05:30 PM.

8. Collapse Details

A great many Americans apparently want to use opioids.
    Some start for social/emotional reasons, others begin for medical reasons and many become addicted (see Rush Limbaugh).
    Either way, manufacturers accumulate billions of $$$ knowing full well that they are exploiting a clientele of physically addicted users. And that their money and influence can often buy immunity from being held accountable for the needless deaths that result from their business.
    In that sense the Sacklers and El Chapo are alike, with the exception that the Sacklers apparently did not make it a habit to brutally murder their business rivals and law enforcement officers.
    Does that make the Sacklers completely innocent?
    Apparently so in the view of some posters.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Actually I did a great deal of research before I wrote that post, I can find absolutely no evidence that Purdue Pharma coerced anyone to buy or use it's high quality effective pain relief products.
    There is evidence that drug companies paid some doctors to (over)prescribe opioids.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0122084356.htm
    The study, led by Dr. Thuy Nguyen of Indiana University's School of Public and Environmental Affairs, looked at the prescribing practices of 63,062 US physicians who directly received opioid-related promotional payments, compared with over 802,000 physicians who received no such payments. From 2014 to 2016, the doctors who received payments prescribed, on average, over 13,070 daily doses of opioids per year more than their unpaid colleagues.

10. Collapse Details

Serious question. What is the solution?
    Are pharmacy companies supposed to quit producing drugs that are beneficial for some? Who is to decide who gets what and how many drugs?