Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Collapse Details

The thing is, it doesn't matter how you start with addictive behaviors. For "fun" or alleviating pain, those are typical starting points.

But either way the issue is that when a person feels that he or she "needs" opioids, milder drugs like marijuana or alcohol or even nicotine to feel normal enough to make it through the day (i.e., to go to work or interact socially) then those folks have lost control of their lives.

And it is a fine line to draw when prescription drugs are saved past the immediate need and people then self-prescribe just a little dose to get through the day. It is no longer a case of medical or recreational, everyone who is habituated is falls into the same category. Addict..

Me, I've known close friends and family members who have fallen down that trap.
    Some recovered and a couple lost their lives. It is easy to feel morally superior to addicts. I have often felt that way, but that attitude does not help the physically addicted person.

And user4 does have a point about the area where I live ("go ask the dope smokers at the pier" :-) here the distinction between medical and "recreational" use of cannabis has been blurred beyond distinction. Dope production has displaced the flower industry to significant negative effect. Fumes from the cannabis green houses cause schools and homes to stink constantly, a much skunkier, sharper and more obnoxious stench that smoking or vaping cannabis produces. And since the whole industry is still a federal crime the producers cannot deal with banks and need to guard and transport hundreds of thousands of $$$ in cash on a daily basis.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    ?????????? I can see a huge difference between intended medical use and recreational use of drugs.
    Yes, the distinction between use and abuse has been lost on quite a few people.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    So user4 is among those who save pain killer drugs and self-prescribes.
    In an effort to find common ground, I would like to agree with jc203, yes user4 does not throw away perfectly fine excess prescription pain killers, user4 may need it years after the prescription is past due to get himself through a toothache from hell for 24 hours before the dentist can see him. This can happen once every 10 years but when it happens that hydrocodone tablet will be worth 10x it's weight in gold.

4. Collapse Details

One more reason why drug companies are just a rung or 2 above tobacco companies on the ladder of life... https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/healt...ent/index.html

5. Collapse Details

And the beat goes on. Check out the pharmacy in your region that is a major drug dealer of opiods.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...pain-pill-map/

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    I have a hard time determining what comes first, 1) the marketing information that pain killers are in demand by MD prescription or 2) that supply increase leads MDs to respond liberally to patient demand for effective pain relief or 3) a small percentage of corrupt MDs drive up demand by giving addicts prescriptions.