Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Apollo 11

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I didn't realize that the Chappaquiddick incident happened the day after the Apollo 11 launch. Talk about good timing for a screw-up.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I remember going outside and looking at the moon and realizing those guys were on the moon at that moment...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    If it was faked dozens of people would have had to have known about it. There is no way that none of these people would have all kept quiet about such a deception when they could make a lot of money selling their story.
    Dozens? How about thousands. Plus the Russians would have called bullshit on us as we would have done if Sputnik had been fake.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    on the Giants telecast today they had this gem (I'm taking it at face value). In '64, Giant manager Alvin Dark said, "a man will walk on the moon before Gaylord Perry hits a home run." Fast forward to '69.... man walks on moon.... 30 minutes later Perry hits his first ever home run....

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    on the Giants telecast today they had this gem (I'm taking it at face value). In '64, Giant manager Alvin Dark said, "a man will walk on the moon before Gaylord Perry hits a home run." Fast forward to '69.... man walks on moon.... 30 minutes later Perry hits his first ever home run....
    I've heard the story before and heard it again today. Perry's first HR did come on July 20th 1969 and it was a day game. The moon landing occurred around 4pm Eastern which means it would have occurred right around the start of the Giants/Dodgers game that day. Whether Dark actually said it? Who knows.

6. Collapse Details

It's been fascinating the last week watching all sorts of documentaries and recaps of the Moon landing itself and all which led up to it. From a PBS series a few years ago, there was film of the wives of Apollo 8 astronauts and, in particular Frank Borman's wife who was an absolute wreck watching her husband sit on top of a Saturn 5 rocket as the first astronauts to be blasted off with it. I can't imagine the stress of watching all of the "make or break" moments involved in getting to and back from the Moon.

7. Collapse Details

Here's the SI story that the Giant's telecast was referring to:
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/07/11/mo...lord-jim-perry

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Having owned a VW Bug I loved these ads...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Having owned a VW Bug I loved these ads...
    Then you probably also appreciated this parody, referencing the other incident from 50 years ago this week.

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Collapse Details

If the moon landings were faked, a Mars landing also would have been faked by now.

As our arch enemies back then, the Soviets had every incentive and capability to detect and expose fake moon landings by the USA, if they were faked.

Although no telescope on earth was or is big enough to see the equipment at the lunar landing site, the Soviets had the ability to aim their antennas at the moon and pick up the radio communications during the landing and verify that the signal was coming from the moon.

In the early to mid-1970s the Soviets sent their Luna series of satellites to orbit the moon and take extensive sets of photos of the surface, satellites which were close enough to see what was left behind at the lunar landing sites.