Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Apollo 11

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Not surprising at all....it is Russia after all....

I have met some college graduates who were alive then and believed it was faked....I always said it would have said it would have been far harder to fake the video...as the guy in the thread clearly demonstrates...

2. Collapse Details

Pretty sure we've had this here before. I had landed in NYC that day, returning from 6 weeks in Germany (HS grad present), rushed the 2 hours home to watch it live at my house with my family. So different from the other TV event we all remember on Nov 22, 1963 (but similar to Feb 9, 1964, watching the Beatles on Ed S).

3. Collapse Details

I was 12 years old and spent the day at my cousins home about 2 hours away from home. I was a huge space program fan. We got home, while listening to the radio broadcast all the way home, just as Armstrong was about to step on the moon. I ran in the door with the rest of my family glued to the TV. I barely got to see Armstrong step down.

4. Collapse Details

Grew up about 30 mi. NE of Wapakoneta, OH (Neil Armstrong's hometown). Recall watching the moon landing at a friend's apartment with my brother. We were enroute to running a road race. Some things never change. Just getting a lot slower!

5. Collapse Details

We were moving from CA to NY, and watched the landing at Grandma & Grandpa's home in Barberton, OH. I was 14, and couldn't wait to go to the Naval Academy and become a Navy pilot.

6. Collapse Details

I was sixteen.

It is hard for current youngsters to imagine every channel showing the same thing, but this was the second time in the decade it happened. The JFK assassination in 1963 was the first.

7. Collapse Details

All the hubbub about the lunar landing reminded me about living in Thailand half-century ago at this time of year.
    In some village where I was spending an evening a big flatbed truck pulled into the middle of town and a bunch of US Information Service dudes began setting up a generator, an array of dish antennae, a movie screen and some sort of early video projection device.
    While I was watching, I struck up a conversation with an old guy with betel nut stained teeth who wanted to know what was going on.
    I labored through my best Thai and augmented it by drawing the earth and moon on the dusty ground and pointing at the moon that was visible overhead to explain that some Americans were going to be shot into space and after a few days would land on the moon. The old guy listened intently, asked a few questions and when I got done he gave me a sly, polite grin and a dubious look that conveyed a clear message, namely: That was the biggest load of bullshit he had ever heard in his long life.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    If it was faked dozens of people would have had to have known about it. There is no way that none of these people would have all kept quiet about such a deception when they could make a lot of money selling their story.
    Not to mention that they would never have been able to fake it 7 times without having their entire cover blown at one point or another.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Not to mention that they would never have been able to fake it 7 times without having their entire cover blown at one point or another.
    The diversion of making up a story about almost losing 3 'nauts was REALLY good too.

10. Collapse Details

Several years ago I was fortunate to share several meals with Bill Anders, who was on Apollo 8, and Alan Bean, who was the 4th man to set foot on the Moon, Apollo 12. No way they could keep a conspiracy if it had all been faked.