Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1964 AAU's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    The 1964 AAU Championships were, I believe, held in New Jersey. I think the meet was at Rutgers University in New Jersey (I lived in California at the time and had just graduated from high school). I did not attend this meet.

A few days after the AAU Championships, the Olympic Semi Trials were held at Randalls Island in New York and of course there was the big U.S. - U.S.S.R. dual meet in Los Angeles on July 25 and 26. I went to both days of this great meet in the Coliseum and still have fantastic memories of a wonderful two days of track and field.
    I attended the meets at Rutgers and Randalls Island, but not the US-USSR meet. Those were great days, indeed.

2. Collapse Details

Final Olympic Trials in 1964 were in Los Angeles. You are probably thinking of 1968.

3. Collapse Details

That was the SFOT in 64 at RI.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    That was the SFOT in 64 at RI.
    Yes, that's what DoubleRBar said in post #2.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Wasn't it 1964 that 2 USOT were held? There was also some controversy over a possible boycott of the OG's by Black athletes so the word around was that they held a 2nd OT's to get enough white athletes to qualify. Hope my memory is ok!
    I wouldn't advise any appearances on Jeopardy.

There was an SFOT and OT in both '64 and '68. The latter version was already in the works before the Mexico boycott talk.

There was no racial component to either.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I wouldn't advise any appearances on Jeopardy.

There was an SFOT and OT in both '64 and '68. The latter version was already in the works before the Mexico boycott talk.

There was no racial component to either.
    ok, thanks...I will cancel my scheduled appearance on Jeopardy

7. Collapse Details

Just came home from hospital after a sudden 10/10 pain in my hip which proved to be a tear in my "gluteus medius" muscle from running. Thought it was another herniated disk but negative MRI. My pace is slow with walker but improving fast.

I saw tag on '64 AAU Meet and I was there with two good views on 6/26 and 6/27. I remember it fairly hot and slightly muggy and sunny. I was not feeling well and had some reaction to immunizations I had week before for my summer job. Didn't do well on 6/26 and saw the semi heat from the rear. The finals were great from the stands and most exciting race was 1500 meters.

Ryun looked awesome finishing a close 4th to Grelle, only 0.1 sec back of him.

The Ryun v Grelle duel lasted in three races with only that 0.1 sec difference between them. a)AAU: Grelle beats Ryun 3:38.9 to 3:39.0

b)OG Trials I on July 4th: Grelle "beats" Ryun 3:46.1 to 3:46.1

c) OG Trials II in September 13: Ryun "beats" Grelle 3:41.9 to 3:41.9

Has anyone seen the photo finish pictures of the OG Trial races? The judges must have had a difficult decision on choosing the third member of the 1500 m team. Does anyone know if the decision was unanimous or split??

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Oh dear...get well soon!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Oh dear...get well soon!
    I second that!

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    Has anyone seen the photo finish pictures of the OG Trial races? The judges must have had a difficult decision on choosing the third member of the 1500 m team. Does anyone know if the decision was unanimous or split??
    Choosing the third member was pro forma and had nothing to do with any other races. The winner of the SFOT in all events (in the 1500, Burleson) were named to the team in July. The 2 highest placers from the FOT got the other two spots (in an era when the. U.S. "always" had three men at standard). Burly won again, so O'Hara and Ryun (placers 2-3) at the FOT got the other two team spots.

There was no subjective judgement required. Ryun beat Grelle by a foot and that was that.