Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1964 AAU's

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    1964 AAU's
    I was just getting into track then and looking forward to seeing this meet. (specially the 15 and 5) I lived at that time in Miami, Fla...I turned the t.v on to Wide World of Sports at 5pm..all I remember was seeing a couple of hurdle heats, a couple of vaults and a lot of talking from McKay...I don't remember seeing any finals...anyone with a memory of this meet?

2. Collapse Details

The 1964 AAU Championships were, I believe, held in New Jersey. I think the meet was at Rutgers University in New Jersey (I lived in California at the time and had just graduated from high school). I did not attend this meet.

I do remember that Tom O'Hara won the 1,500 in about 3:38 for a new American record. Jim Beatty who had a fantastic 1962, was injured in 1964 and didn't run.

I remember Bob Hayes, Henry Carr, and Mike Larrabee winning the 100, 200, and 400. They would go on to win gold medals in Tokyo about four months later.

Bob Schul was another AAU winner who went on to win gold in Tokyo. So did Hayes Jones and Fred Hansen (win in Tokyo).

Other winners in New Jersey who also won Olympic gold in Tokyo were Randy Matson and Al Oerter. Ralph Boston won the AAU meet, but got beat in Tokyo by Lynn Davies of Wales. Lynn Davies would go on to head British track and field a few years ago.

A few days after the AAU Championships, the Olympic Semi Trials were held at Randalls Island in New York and of course there was the big U.S. - U.S.S.R. dual meet in Los Angeles on July 25 and 26. I went to both days of this great meet in the Coliseum and still have fantastic memories of a wonderful two days of track and field.

3. Collapse Details

Thank you, DoubleRBar...I should have made the posting more explicit..i.e..if anyone remembered the actual t.v broadcast which barely showed 2 minutes of action...but I am jealous of the fact that you were there for Gerry Lindgren's big upset in the US/USSR meet.

4. Collapse Details

I don't remember anything about the television broadcast, just the results of the meet.

5. Collapse Details

I have a poor quality black and white recording of the 1500-800-400 from that meet. Curiously, it is reversed with the runners seemingly finishing in the back straight. It came from a UK TV site, which was covering the meet as Britain's Robbie Brightwell was running [he was 2nd in the 400]. If you want a copy Cuban, please send me an e-mail [richhymans@hotmail.com]

6. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=DoubleRBar;2711823]

Other winners in New Jersey who also won Olympic gold in Tokyo were Randy Matson and Al Oerter.

Randy Matson didn't win in Tokyo but did in Mexico City. Dallas Long won in Tokyo.

7. Collapse Details

Good eyes, huntinwr. I skipped Dallas Long's gold medal.

8. Collapse Details

I distinctly remember being disappointed that the mens' 1500 wasn't televised. I truly cannot recall if any part of the meet made it to the TV.

9. Collapse Details

Thank you, Rhymans...very nice of you to offer...John Boulter and Peter Keeling were also there...will get in touch.

10. Collapse Details

I liked McKay but he did talk a LOT!
    I was happy to watch Lindgren's epic 10k in person instead of viewing it with TV ads and announcer blather interruptions. Most exciting distance race I ever witnessed!
    2nd best was Lagat's 5K at the 2016 OT's.