Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I'm not sure why we didn't run 2.0 miles in cross country, but that's the distance (1.8) we ran at Pierce College (Woodland Hills). All our cross country meets were on Thursdays. I know other high schools in Southern California had their own on-campus cross country courses, but we ran at Pierce College. Probably much easier for the coaches.
    Last edited by DoubleRBar; 07-18-2019 at 06:00 PM.

2. Collapse Details

The popularity found in the '60s extended into the early '70s. I graduated from Glendora High (San Gabriel Valley, just east of LA, about 550 in each class) in 1972, so I looked at the Yearbook and found the Varsity team had 37 members, the "B" team had 16, and the "C" team had 11, for a total of 64 on the boy's team. The girl's team had 34 members.

The biggest meet every year was USC-UCLA, Shorter and Pre reigned supreme for us distance runners, and a skinny 10th grader from Upland named Steve Scott was about to discover running.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    102 boys on a Southern California HS track team in the early 1960's would not be extraordinary. I would bet the photo Lonewolf saw depicted the whole team, though. Not merely the Class B kids.
    I checked one of my old yearbooks from that era and counted over 100 guys including Varsity, Class B and Class C teams.
    I also caught an egregious error in the yearbook: Below a picture of T&FN regular poster "Cannon" (see above) is a caption indicating that he was "...being congratulated by a teammate after running 1 and 7/8ths miles in 8:54"
    The time and distance was correct but it was place in entirely the wrong sport (it was a cross country race) and the "teammate" was really a pretty high profile rival named Dennis Carr !
    Thanks, Joe...you got it right. And the 8:54 was Dennis Carr's winning time for the 1.8 mile cross-country race. I was second at 8:58. I led almost all the way until he blew by my in the final 200m. Good times.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    I'm not sure why we didn't run 2.0 miles in cross country, but that's the distance (1.8) we ran at Pierce College (Woodland Hills). All our cross country meets were on Thursdays. I know other high schools in Southern California had their own on-campus cross country courses, but we ran at Pierce College. Probably much easier for the coaches.
    50 years ago cross country courses were just laid out and no one cared what the distance was...in the powerful West Suburban Conference west of Chicago....we never ran the same distance...our course at Hinsdale Central was 2.65...York's was 1.81...etc...course records was what counted...the state meet until 1972 in Illinois was 2.75 miles

5. Collapse Details

I believe the 1.8 mile course was fairly standard in the Los Angeles area.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That's interesting...

7. Collapse Details

Yes, I ran 1.8 miles in a Los Angeles City high school at Griffith Park just north of Hollywood. I also ran the 1.8-mile course at Pierce and remember the coach confiscating a bag of fruit that I picked from some trees (Pierce was an agricultural school) and literally kicking my butt to the back of the school bus before we left to return back home.

8. Collapse Details

With a standard 1.8 miles, it was a lot easier to compare various athletes. Quite a few runners ran high school cross country at the Pierce College course.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    I believe the 1.8 mile course was fairly standard in the Los Angeles area.
    Yes, I believe the Mt Sac course was right around 1.8 miles.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Yes, I believe the Mt Sac course was right around 1.8 miles.
    Mt. SAC claims its HS course distance has changed very little since inception (1948), and the course is currently listed as 2.93 mi.