Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Wimbledon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Again, it was the circumstances. I don't know how many times Federer has failed to convert two straight championship points, on his serve, at a major, but I'm going to guess never.
    It was only semifinal, but Federer blew two match points in a row at the US Open in both 2010 and 2011. His opponent? Djokovic both times.

2. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Federer had more winners...
    Djokovic is nothing if not patient.
    Federer more points(218-204) and more games(36-32).

Line of the day on twitter - Federer won the popular vote, Djokovic the electoral college lol.
    There are no strings on me

3. Collapse Details

Titanic battle... I accidentally surfed onto this just as Federer came from behind to force overtime...figured out which one was which and stayed for the whole thing.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Have the broadcasters learned nothing from years of track and field coverage?

Why would they since few watch it...

For all of the problems with track's lack of popularity commentators have little to do with it....
    The thing we noticed while watching it on DVR just now, is that the commentators really don't have to say much. A match like that speaks for itself. I don't watch much tennis, but had the good fortune to watch the 1980 Bjorg-McEnroe final, turned on 2008 Nadal-Federer as an afterthought on the way out the door to do errands and decided to watch for a few minutes that turned into four hours, and then today's match.

5. Collapse Details

All over Federer played the best tennis but og course at the end of the 5th (which lasted over 2 hours) Djocovic came out on top. In a match like this they don't choke, not these guys. Things just happen. The amazing thing is how these 3 guys con still dominate this game. In this tournament Federer was better than I had expected and Djocovic, in the end, was at his fantastic best (except in the 2nd set). He is ranked no1 for a reason.

6. Collapse Details

Yeah the two games with Federer (semi and final) were for the ages. Their stamina and concentration is other worldly.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    In a match like this they don't choke, not these guys. Things just happen.
    As Novotna once said, they don't choke. They just get a little "tight." I think Roger gets tight more often than both Rafa and Novak. But I don't think it's because he is mentally weaker. His versatility sometimes works against him in critical situations, because he has too many options. Rafa and Novak just stick to their guns. Roger has to choose which gun he sticks to.

8. Collapse Details

It's been a while since I last watched tennis, could somebody please tell me why the audience at Wimbledon hate Djokovic so much? The support for Federer was almost unanimous.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by xw View Post
    It's been a while since I last watched tennis, could somebody please tell me why the audience at Wimbledon hate Djokovic so much? The support for Federer was almost unanimous.
    It's not that they don't like Djo - he's a great guy. It's that Federer is the epitome of the dashing Euro gentleman (from Switzerland!) and he's been in the game so long. People want to see his major titles list grow.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It's not that they don't like Djo - he's a great guy. It's that Federer is the epitome of the dashing Euro gentleman (from Switzerland!) and he's been in the game so long. People want to see his major titles list grow.
    Not so sure about this. In the semi the noise for Nadal equalled that for Federer. I have read that Djoko likes to tease and make fun of some of his opponents. I know he has been known to imitate Nadal's habit of pulling on himself.