Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Wimbledon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Wimbledon
    A mFinal for the ages. Good thing I DVRed it - it was over 5 hours!
    Federer v Djokovic - two of the best ever.
    The 5th set was tied at 12-12 so they went to the tie-breaker (new rule this year) and ******** won 7-3. They could not have been more evenly matched.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Completely forgot about Wimbledon...

3. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Something I never thought I'd see - Federer choking. He was serving up 40-15, 8-7 in the final set and somehow coughed up the break. Probably Federer's most crushing defeat considering the chances lost(and of course his age)

Would have been interesting to see how long the match might have gone without the 12-12 tiebreak.
    There are no strings on me

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Something I never thought I'd see - Federer choking. He was serving up 40-15, 8-7 in the final set and somehow coughed up the break. Probably Federer's most crushing defeat considering the chances lost(and of course his age)

Would have been interesting to see how long the match might have gone without the 12-12 tiebreak.
    Yes, I thought he had it at 8-7, 40-15.

5. Collapse Details

I'm terribly disappointed that they showed the match in its entirety. I wanted them to cut away during the 5th set tiebreaker to tell me about Federer's identical twin girls and identical twin boys and Roger and Mirka's fairytale romance and Mirka's retirement from tennis due to a foot injury.

Have the broadcasters learned nothing from years of track and field coverage?

6. Collapse Details

I don't follow or watch tennis anymore so I didn't know that about Federer....unlike fraternal twins...identical twins don't run in families....completely random...1 in 300 births...and 2 in one particular family...is wild...

7. Collapse Details

Have the broadcasters learned nothing from years of track and field coverage?

Why would they since few watch it...

For all of the problems with track's lack of popularity commentators have little to do with it....

8. Collapse Details

Atticus, you said it all. “A final for all ages”. I thought I would loose about 2 hours on my Sunday but was glad to have witnessed the best one on one athletic contest ever with two of the world’s best ever players going at it for 5+ hours. Those who criticize the competition of winner or loser just can’t appreciate the 1960’s famous World Wide of Sports saying: “The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat..... “. This is what sport is about and win or lose you congratulate each other and accept the result. If Federer choked in this match he must have choked in all the other major tournaments that he didn’t win. He still holds the most “ non choke” winner of major tournaments.
    Both played their best today and one got the win on a tie break

9. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    If Federer choked in this match he must have choked in all the other major tournaments that he didn’t win.

Again, it was the circumstances. I don't know how many times Federer has failed to convert two straight championship points, on his serve, at a major, but I'm going to guess never.
    There are no strings on me

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Again, it was the circumstances. I don't know how many times Federer has failed to convert two straight championship points, on his serve, at a major, but I'm going to guess never.
    Federer had more winners, but he also had more unforced errors and that was ultimately the difference.
    Djokovic is nothing if not patient. One rally in the semis went 45 strokes, a W record, before Djo won it.