Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    To me, versatility at the highest level is a key factor. Which is why I rank JKK, Szewinska, Ostermeyer and Blankers-Koen ahead of a one-trick pony like Dibaba.
    Dibaba is not a one trick pony. She has won on track, dirt (xc) and road. The only blemish is that she has never won anything big indoor.

Very interestingly, no woman has ever won Olympic medals in both track and marathon, although there are seven men who have achieved that.

2. Collapse Details

In 1988, I saw the greatest female athlete of all time in the first day of the Olympic Trials Heptathlon. JJK was a Goddess, particularly in the long jump and the 200.

To me, no one is close.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    If you go by $$$, short sprinters win this contest all the time.
    I'm not sure about that. It's hard to know for sure since these numbers are not publically available but I would think that elite distance runners can hold their own against elite sprinters. Didn't something appear in TF&N a few years ago that indicated that the 2 highest paid events were the 100 and marathon?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    In 1988, I saw the greatest female athlete of all time in the first day of the Olympic Trials Heptathlon. JJK was a Goddess, particularly in the long jump and the 200.

To me, no one is close.
    JJK...to me, no one is close!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post

To me, no one is close.
    I agree, although I think Szewinska is close. Dibaba and Isi both warrant consideration in the Top 10, with Dibaba having a slightly better career. In the 10K, Dibaba is much like Geb in that she has a long and distinguished career, only to be followed by Ayana (or Bekele in Geb's case).

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    When debating world GOAT, JJK’s position all USA all time list is irrelevant
    Generally I'd agree. But as THE world's #1 power, the fact that she ranks so highly in so many events is relevant (IMO). If this were Liechtenstein, I'd say 'not so much'.

I will admit extraordinary bias in JJK's behalf, because I actually met her at several meets (if signing my daughter's programs and talking for a minute counts - she actually remembered meeting us one time!), and she was always gracious (just like my other tru-luv, Stacy Dragila!)

Therefore, I will recuse myself in further deliberations!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    I agree, although I think Szewinska is close. Dibaba and Isi both warrant consideration in the Top 10, with Dibaba having a slightly better career. In the 10K, Dibaba is much like Geb in that she has a long and distinguished career, only to be followed by Ayana (or Bekele in Geb's case).
    That day was so weird for me...sitting in the stands, 100 plus degrees in the Indianapolis heat drinking water profusely watching JJK do her thing and thinking "this woman can beat some of the Decathletes here".

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Szewinska is close (but slightly ahead.... :-)

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    To me, versatility at the highest level is a key factor.
    Agreed. If you want real versatility, I'll throw Babe Didrikson in the mix.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    Dibaba is not a one trick pony. She has won on track, dirt (xc) and road. The only blemish is that she has never won anything big indoor.

Very interestingly, no woman has ever won Olympic medals in both track and marathon, although there are seven men who have achieved that.
    Good points, although for a distance runner I'm not sure lack of indoor success is much of a blemish.