Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 145
  1. Collapse Details
    The GOAT of women's track and field
    #1
    We had this conversation regarding the men earlier this year when gh made a compelling argument for Carl Lewis over Usain Bolt and Haile Gebresellasie. I haven't studied the analytics for the women but my intuition tells me that Tirunesh Dibaba has a strong case.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,737
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    We had this conversation regarding the men earlier this year when gh made a compelling argument for Carl Lewis over Usain Bolt and Haile Gebresellasie. I haven't studied the analytics for the women but my intuition tells me that Tirunesh Dibaba has a strong case.
    Ha, ha, good one, except it's not April 1.

    JJK nailed this down when she retired and no one else is even close.

    200 22.30
    800 2:08.51
    100H 12.61
    400H 55.05
    High Jump 1.91
    Long Jump 7.49
    Shot Put 16.00
    Javelin 50.12
    Heptathlon 7291

    OLYMPICS
    1. Heptathlon 1992
    1. Long Jump 1988
    1. Heptathlon 1988
    2. Heptathlon 1984

    WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
    1. Heptathlon 1993
    1. Long Jump 1991
    1. Long Jump 1897
    1. Heptathlon 1987

    4 successive Hep WRs. Still (30+ years) has the top 6 scores ever.

    LJ WR

    In 1988, an Olympic year, when everyone is at their best, here's her position on the US list:

    200 - 6
    800 - just 2 sec off the top-50 list
    100H - 2
    400H - 7
    HJ - 5
    LJ - top 10 jumps
    SP -11 !!!!
    JT - 39 !
    Hep - 1

    Game, set, match
    Last edited by Atticus; 07-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,041
    The March 2000 issue of T&FN listed Jackie Joyner-Kersee as Athlete of the Century in a narrow decision over Irena Szewinska. But that was before Dibaba came on the scene. Methinks she is at least a Top 10 contender.

    Dibaba's 10K alone makes her an all-time great, 8 years ranked, 6 #1's, 77 points for all time lead,

    2 Oly gold plus bronze
    3 WC gold plus silver

    Then add her 5k credentials and her recent foray into the marathon, along with her longevity (ranked in most years from 2005-2017), and she should be included in GOAT discussions.
    Last edited by bobguild76; 07-11-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,737
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Dibaba should be included in GOAT discussions.
    I would agree, if we're talking about Distance GOAT.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    I made no mention of distance (Dibaba) or multi/field (Joyner) in the thread title, just GOAT. It's hard to compare events but there should be no debate that the depth of competition in distance running is far greater than the depth of competition in multis, and I take that into consideration. I'm sure a big reason for this is $$$, the best athletes gravitate to where the money is.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 07-12-2019 at 03:59 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    If you go by $$$, short sprinters win this contest all the time.

    When we compare apples and oranges, I try to compare how much Apple #1 is better than Apple #2, and how much Orange #1 is better than Orange #2.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,623
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I...It's hard to compare events but there should be no debate that the depth if competition in distance running is far greater than the depth of competition in multis, and I take that into consideration. I'm sure a big reason for this is $$$, the best athletes gravitate to where the money is.
    that may be true today, but is largely irrelevant in an all-time sense (which is what we're discussing here). There was no $$ component for Szewinska and certainly very little for JJK. Different era.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alta.
    Posts
    574
    To me, versatility at the highest level is a key factor. Which is why I rank JKK, Szewinska, Ostermeyer and Blankers-Koen ahead of a one-trick pony like Dibaba.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui
    Posts
    6,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Ha, ha, good one, except it's not April 1.

    JJK nailed this down when she retired and no one else is even close.

    200 22.30
    800 2:08.51
    100H 12.61
    400H 55.05
    High Jump 1.91
    Long Jump 7.49
    Shot Put 16.00
    Javelin 50.12
    Heptathlon 7291

    OLYMPICS
    1. Heptathlon 1992
    1. Long Jump 1988
    1. Heptathlon 1988
    2. Heptathlon 1984

    WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
    1. Heptathlon 1993
    1. Long Jump 1991
    1. Long Jump 1897
    1. Heptathlon 1987

    4 successive Hep WRs. Still (30+ years) has the top 6 scores ever.

    LJ WR

    In 1988, an Olympic year, when everyone is at their best, here's her position on the US list:

    200 - 6
    800 - just 2 sec off the top-50 list
    100H - 2
    400H - 7
    HJ - 5
    LJ - top 10 jumps
    SP -11 !!!!
    JT - 39 !
    Hep - 1

    Game, set, match
    When debating world GOAT, JJK’s position all USA all time list is irrelevant
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui
    Posts
    6,560
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I made no mention of distance (Dibaba) or multi/field (Joyner) in the thread title, just GOAT. It's hard to compare events but there should be no debate that the depth if competition in distance running is far greater than the depth of competition in multis, and I take that into consideration. I'm sure a big reason for this is $$$, the best athletes gravitate to where the money is.

    I would agree that it’s a valid point to say the depth in distance running is far greater than in the heptathlon or long jump.
    Last edited by Tuariki; 07-11-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •