Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

gh I hope you are in Europe.. otherwise you are posting in the middle of the night.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    you apparently didn't look at the link I cited. Here are the proper numbers

1. Irena Szewińska (100, 200, 400, 400H, LJ, heptathlon) 342; 2. Merlene Ottey (100, 200) 287; 3. Heike Drechsler (100, 200, LJ, heptathlon) 237; 4. Marita Koch (100, 200, 400) 210; 5. Allyson Felix (100, 200, 400) 206; 6. Jackie Joyner–Kersee (100H, LJ, heptathlon) 192; 7. Tamara Press (SP, DT) 182; 8. Tirunesh Dibaba (5000, 10,000, marathon) 178; 9. Veronica Campbell–Brown (100, 200) 172; 10. Grete Waitz (1500, 5000, marathon) 166
    So I was off by 2 on Szewinska?

EDIT: I did look at the link but I didn't scroll all the way to the bottom where you have the career totals for notable athletes. That's a very useful link for comparing athletes from different eras. Now someone needs to come up with a way to compare the parity of talent from different eras. By the way, you have an error in your Szewinska list.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 07-13-2019 at 10:10 PM.

3. Collapse Details

For me it's between Szewinska and JJK, both so regal.

4. Collapse Details

ISZ .. JJK
    == ==
    3...... 3... Olympic Gold
    2...... 1... Olympic Silver
    2..... 2... Olympic Bronze
    342.. 192 TNF ranking points
    6...... 3... Events ranked
    6...... 5... world records

Haven’t included world champs as they didn’t exist in Szewinska’s time.

Therefore, on the above numbers, Szewinska wins GOAT.

However, I give it to JJK because those numbers don’t show the total dominance of JJK in the heptathlon, a dominance never achieved by Szewinska. And a dominance which continues today. It is unbelievable that she has the 6 best ever performances in history from 27 to 33 years ago.
    Last edited by Tuariki; 07-14-2019 at 06:43 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Can we call it a tie?

I think Szewinska's 49.29 WR at the 76 Olympics is one of the all-time amazing performances.

6. Collapse Details

I think there are 3 axes: (1) versatility (2) longevity (3) domination of the competition. In a discipline like the HJ, the skills don't transfer well to any other event. Yes, there have been HJrs who did OK in the LJ or TJ, but it's rare. Given that, I think Balas has to be in the conversation - based on longevity and domination, even though she's not in the top 10 overall points scorers.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Can we call it a tie?

I think Szewinska's 49.29 WR at the 76 Olympics is one of the all-time amazing performances.
    JJK's 7291 is superior, and against tremendous competition. Btw, in her WR 7215 heptathlon at OT earlier in the summer JJK had a 25 ft foul in that same competition. I still believe JJK's 1988 season topped Flo Jo's.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    JJK's 7291 is superior, and against tremendous competition. Btw, in her WR 7215 heptathlon at OT earlier in the summer JJK had a 25 ft foul in that same competition. I still believe JJK's 1988 season topped Flo Jo's.
    I agree. JJK's 7291 is not only a POY, or a POD, but in my mind a finalist for POC.

9. Collapse Details

To me, JJK is not only T&F GOAT, but the greatest overall athlete ever.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    I think there are 3 axes: (1) versatility (2) longevity (3) domination of the competition. In a discipline like the HJ, the skills don't transfer well to any other event. Yes, there have been HJrs who did OK in the LJ or TJ, but it's rare. Given that, I think Balas has to be in the conversation - based on longevity and domination, even though she's not in the top 10 overall points scorers.
    Of course she deserves credit for longevity and domination but her lack of versatility is what prevents her from being the GOAT. The reason I believe Deion Sanders may be the GOAT of male athletes overall is because of how dissimilar his skills are. He hit .300 off of major league pitching for an entire season and played cornerback at an All-Pro level in the NFL at the same time.