Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Sad situation. Does it seem to anyone else that obtaining USA citizenship is a bit too complicated?
    Anybody who has been through the process based on their own merit (i.e. not by marriage or parent(s)) can tell you that. It took me over 13 years from my first entry with a work visa until naturalization as a US citizen, and cost over $10,000 overall (fortunately most of that was paid by my employer).

2. Collapse Details

Sad situation. Does it seem to anyone else that obtaining USA citizenship is a bit too complicated?
    Why is it sad? He is still eligible to compete for Kenya. And competing for Kenya does not negatively impact on his ability to get a green card, or future US citizenship.

Edited - does not
    Last edited by Tuariki; 07-11-2019 at 07:49 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    does or does not?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    Why is it sad? He is still eligible to compete for Kenya. And competing for Kenya does negatively impact on his ability to get a green card, or future US citizenship
    I should not take 13 years or cost $10k to become a citizen of USA

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    For a foreign student coming to New Zealand, doing a 4 year degree, it will take at least 11 years to get citizenship from the day they arrive in NZ, under our skilled migrant category, but only if they meet the qualifying criteria.

Over those 11 years, the application fees for student visas, followed by work visas, followed by residence visa and finally citizenship will be about $8,000. However, if the person uses a licensed immigration adviser or lawyer then professional fees could easily top $20,000 over that period, and a lot more if the applicant has been identified as having potentially disqualifying issues.

Saying that Cheserek is trapped by the USA immigration system is just plain wrong. His running career and his desire to be a USA citizen are unrelated issues. Cheserek has to meet the USA immigration criteria as to who the USA wants, and those criteria should be applied equally to him as to every one of the probable hundreds of thousands of others applying for a green card and/or citizenship.

Unless athletic achievements are written in as one of the factors for qualifying then he should not be afforded any special dispensation over any other applicant.

And when people say it is unfair on his running career, that is also just plain wrong.

He is a citizen of Kenya and can live in Kenya and can run for Kenya. There is nothing stopping him running all over Europe and elsewhere. There is nothing stopping him running in the Diamond League, if he is good enough.

However, his problem is that while he has a very high chance of making a USA Olympic team, his chances of making a Kenyan team are much, much smaller.

Sovereign countries have the absolute right to decide who gets to enter their country, and who gets to stay. If it takes 13 years, then so be it. That is the USA right to make it a difficult process.

$13,000?? That is nothing in the immigration world. I have clients right now who would pay me $1,000,000 if I could guarantee them a USA green card. Many of the boat people who often drown in the seas of the Mediterranean, the Timor straits have paid $10,000 and more just to be in the rust bucket of a boat, hoping to sneak into Europe or Australia.

I hope Cheserek achieves his ambition of getting a green card. But his approval shouldn’t be fast tracked over the hundreds of thousands of others just because there are people who think he could win an Olympic medal for Uncle Sam.

6. Collapse Details

I haven't suggested or implied that he should be fast tracked. The points I made were simply that he is limited by the fact that he wouldn't make the Kenyan team and doesn't qualify to compete in the USA trials where he could make it. And also I believe that becoming a USA citizen shouldn't need to take so long and cost so much.

7. Collapse Details

Countries with large numbers of immigration applicants do have to be selective, but that doesn't mean their process has to stretch out over a decade and cost 5 figures.

My brother initiated Canada's immigration process while he was still working in the US, became a Canadian permanent resident within 2 years, and a Canadian citizen after another 4 years. His US employer was willing to sponsor his green card process, but after seeing what I and others went through he declined that and applied to Canada instead.

8. Collapse Details

So Cheserek should seek Canadian citizenship. Problem solved.

9. Collapse Details

What about countries lacking international class distance runners? Then he wouldn’t have to compete in any trials, only meet the standard.

10. Collapse Details

I haven't suggested or implied that he should be fast tracked. The points I made were simply that he is limited by the fact that he wouldn't make the Kenyan team and doesn't qualify to compete in the USA trials where he could make it. And also I believe that becoming a USA citizen shouldn't need to take so long and cost so much.
    $13,000 is nothi g. It is a small price to pay for a green card, let alone citizenship.

And are you suggesting the US should approve the likely millions ahead of Cheserek in the queue? There are tens of millions willing to do almost anything to get to the USA, create a queue jumping precedent could result in the flood gates being opened.