Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    I rest my case that getting full USA citizenship is too complicated.
    Is EC being treated like anyone else? Is it this difficult for everyone? Has this changed significantly since 2017?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    I rest my case that getting full USA citizenship is too complicated.
    It is not that hard, all you have to do is turn around three times and click your heals. Of course, you have to have the right shoes and I think that the current price for those shoes is prohibitively expense... By the way, has anyone else heard the phrase (and know what it means) "Sciama's Devil on Ellis Island"?

3. Collapse Details

While I would really like to see Ches compete for the USA, I would not want to see any special accommodations made to that end. Obviously a shorter timeline should be considered for those who have fled their birth nations as refugees, to include Cuban defections.

I agree with the comment made about joining, and competing for, the US Army might not be as helpful as one might like. Of late, we seem to be deporting non-citizen veterans who have served bravely. (Insert heavy sigh)

There will always be powerful athletic nations who will be required to leave at home athletes who are quite capable of medalling at international championships. Unless some accommodation is given to grant automatic entry for anyone listed in the yearly top 25 performances (something which would result in a waaaay too crowded field), I do not see a clearly fair way to address this.

I don't want to see countries competing for allegiance of athletes as is done with professional teams.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Even if Ches never competes for the USA he will always be remembered at the Original Pancake House on Franklin...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Does the Army still have their accelerated path to citizenship? That would likely be the fastest way for him to become a US citizen in time for 2024, but there's that whole being deployed thing...
    I believe I've heard that the Army track program has been discontinued, at least for new recruits.

6. Collapse Details

Story linked in front page headline section has some updated information on his immigration status.

7. Collapse Details

Thanks for the tip, although, really, the only information in the posted article re his immigration status is that there is no updated information. He's still waiting/hoping for green card as reported in February NYT article.

And then, by standard process, it would be five years after green card granted that he could actually apply for citizenship.

EC ran Falmouth 7 mile today and finished third behind Leonard Korir and Stephen Sambu.

As article mentions, he does have a spot on the start line of the Zurich 5000m.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That's right there is no change....I think Cheserek is screwed....he probably won't be allowed to stay in the U.S. much longer....I wouldn't be surprised they don't let him back in after racing in Europe though I think that is unlikely...however certainly possible...that's what happened to Simeon Kigen 30 years ago....left thinking he could get back and boom....that was that.

9. Collapse Details

He's listed to start in 5th Avenue Mile in NYC Sept 8, so your entry question should be answered before then.

10. Collapse Details

Never understood why he won't represent Kenya. Yes maybe he doesn't feel attached to Kenya anymore, but athletic life is so short. He may be well over his prime when he finally has his coveted American citizenship.

Also he will make the Kenya 5000m team easily.