Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    Never understood why he won't represent Kenya. Yes maybe he doesn't feel attached to Kenya anymore, but athletic life is so short. He may be well over his prime when he finally has his coveted American citizenship.

Also he will make the Kenya 5000m team easily.
    You can't use the word "Easily" and "Kenyan trials" in the same sentence. There is nothing easy about Kenyan trials even for the best athletes.

First off the trials are held at altitude which is challenging for many athletes and makes upsets more likely.

Second, there is always unknown runners who come from nowhere and beat established athletes. And the 5K track race is the most difficult to predict. The race is run so rarely nowadays that many highly capable 5K runners have abandoned the track and are now in road races. For all you know there are probably half a dozen of these road racers capable of beating Cheserek especially at altitude. If 1 or 2 of them show up, Cheserek could be toast.

Thirdly, there are already two Kenyans who have run faster than Cheserek this season and five others who have run within two seconds.

I would say Cheserek would have a difficult time in a Kenyan trials.
    Last edited by mungo man; 08-21-2019 at 04:43 PM.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Easy and Kenyan Trials don't belong in the same sentence...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    And especially in the 5,000m

4. Collapse Details

There are two Kenyans above him and who else? The Kenyans are currently weak at 5000m, that's a fact.

If he is willing to represent Kenya, he will prepare for the trials at altitude.

5. Collapse Details

And by weak, I mean in comparison to their better days.

So what if the trials is tough? It is either this or not representing Kenya on track, which is what he's doing now.

Look, I'm not questioning his motives to not run for Kenya. I'm looking from a perspective of an athlete in a sport with limited shelf life.

6. Collapse Details

And by weak, I mean in comparison to their better days.

So what if the trials is tough? It is either this or not representing Kenya on track, which is what he's doing now.

Look, I'm not questioning his motives to not run for Kenya. I'm looking from a perspective of an athlete in a sport with limited shelf life.
    So you admit the Kenyan trials are tough but you insist that it will still be easy for Cheserek?

Which is it? Tough or easy

7. Collapse Details

I didn't say it was tough. My point is whether it doesn't matter if it is tough or not because he can only participate in Kenyan trials anyway.

8. Collapse Details

Did he say he doesn't plan to ever compete for Kenya? Or is he only skipping this year's WC?

Remember his US visa renewal is still pending, and competing in the Kenyan trials but failing to make the team could count against him in the eyes of the immigration officer who's going to decide on his visa.

And the Kenyan trials probably isn't a requirement of his contract, but competing in some number of professional meets in Europe might be.

9. Collapse Details

There are two Kenyans above him and who else? The Kenyans are currently weak at 5000m, that's a fact.

If he is willing to represent Kenya, he will prepare for the trials at altitude.
    Yesterday's 10,000 trials are an example of just how tough the Kenyan trials can be. Ever heard of Alex Oloitiptip? He ran 13:08 for 5000 back in 2012, is almost 29 and has been running mostly half-marathons (58:51 PB) and road 10Ks (27:34). He just ran 27:29 in Nairobi. Rodgers Kwemoi is also Rodgers Chumo, who has been living and training/racing in Japan. He was the world U20 10,000 champion in 2016 in 27:25. A lot of Kenyan runners spend most of their time on the roads, but may show up for trials.

The 5000 (not a trial race) was won by Daniel Simuyu in 13:15.92; he's almost 25 and has no results in tilastopaja until this year, when he ran 13:35 in Kitale, 6200' elevation. These guys never stop coming, so saying Kenya is weak in 5000 is rather naive.

BTW, Kamworor now says he will skip Doha to train for the New York marathon, so Oloitiptip will get his slot.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/sports/at...ionships-slot/

Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    So true!