Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Big Event

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Big Event
    This month's (July) "Big Event" happened 58 years ago today. It was just one week after the birth of Carl Lewis, but this "Big Event" did not happen in North America.

No hurdles were involved in our "Big Event", however this world record was set by an athlete who won an Olympic gold medal the year before this "Big Event".

Carl Lewis had nothing to do with this "Big Event", however he did compete in a similar event.

The athlete who set this world record went on to win Olympic gold in about three years.

You have several clues to give you the event. Can you name the event, the athlete who set this world mark, and for bonus points, the city and country where this mark happened 58 years ago today?

I can tell you that the city is the capital of the country and is not in Australia, Asia, or Africa.

Good luck and give it a go.

2. Collapse Details

I'm guessing it was Ralph Boston breaking his own WR in the Long Jump with 8.28m in the USA-USSR dual meet in Moskva

3. Collapse Details

I'll guess Valery Brumel in the high jump in Moscow. Not sure of the year, but I recall him looking nervously up at Khruschchev in his box during the US-USSR meet before each of his attempts on his way to a world record.

4. Collapse Details

Very good guess, rhymans, but Boston's world mark in Moscow happened eight days after our "Big Event" in another European capital. It was't the long jump and remember, Boston did not win Olympic gold in three years (he took the silver medal). I can tell you that the athlete we are looking for, did set another world record on the same day Boston set his 8.28 in Moscow.
    Last edited by DoubleRBar; 07-08-2019 at 04:18 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Another good guess, Master403, but it wasn't the men's high jump nor was it in Moscow. Brumel set a world record (2.24 or 7' 4 1/4") eight days after our "Big Event". Brumel did not win the Olympic gold medal in 1960.

6. Collapse Details

With not much else to think about when waking up while on vacation (Lisbon), I thought about WR setters in 1961 - Murray Halberg came to mind. He improved Albie Thomas's 2M WR from 8:32.0 to 8:30.0 (Jyvaskyla 6 Jul?), and that summer also did the same for the 3M with 13:10.0 (Thomas had run 13:10.8 in 1958), although he missed Kuts WR for 5k in the same race - 13:35.2 to 13:35.0. Still - I'm probably completely wrong again

7. Collapse Details

I can tell you that this "Big Event" was not in the running events. Note that I said the event was not in the men's high jump.

8. Collapse Details

Seems like you are edging this old codger towards guessing 1.91 for Balas

9. Collapse Details

A misleading clue in DoubleRBar's history, I think, is connection of Carl Lewis "competing" in this event. Did he ever compete in high school in other field events than the LJ? If so, than I think I I know but did some newspaper research which gave me a clue and therefore on sidelines.

10. Collapse Details

Very good, rhymans. Iolanda Balas did set a world high jump record ( it was 1.90 or 6' 2 3/4") on July 8, 1961 in Budapest, Hungary.

My clue said, "Carl Lewis had nothing to do with this "Big Event", however he did compete in a similar event." This was meant to direct people to the jumping events.