Facts, Not Fiction

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    At this stage of the game, SMU could run 48.5 and lose, and not to Naser.
    Hahaha

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    Hahaha
    Have you seen Seyni's trajectory?

3. Collapse Details

Have you seen Seyni's trajectory?
    I'm agree with you and admire your courage to say this in this forum.

4. Collapse Details

At this stage of the game, SMU could run 48.5 and lose, and not to Naser.
    Exactly.

5. Collapse Details

Excuse the essay..

Whatever is going on with Seyni, we have to assume at this stage she will be in Doha and she will be in form. London this weekend will give us another tantalising insight into how fast she can run on the big stage against top competition. I quite like the race choices she and her team have made this year - a few lower key meets with a couple of DLs in there - although that may be more due to that fact that she can only now start commanding a lane in the big races.

There are two obvious things that go against her (no, not SMU & Naser ) : lack of speed over 200m - markedly less so than her two rivals - and her inexperience running rounds at this level.
    The upside is of course being able to run the fastest last 100m in a 400m ever recorded for a woman, and raw ability & potential we cannot get our heads around yet.

A good friend/contact & someone generally in the know said SMU has "been phenomenal in training & it would be too tiring to run DLs at this level" which I found interesting. I still don't quite understand that but he knows more than me, so I will accept that as the reason.

I agree with scorpionking that on paper it looks like Naser has over raced. I hope this has nothing to do with her federation. So I hope she takes a racing break soon, retreats from the circuit and rests and trains before Doha.

On the w200m, a few comments. If you look at Thompson's racing schedule since she became elite, her season thus far is more akin to 2016 when she did the sprint double, not 2015/2017 when she did just one event. In both 2016 and this season she entered both sprints at the JAM Champs (ignore that she only ran one round of the 200 in 2016....). If she didn't intend to double she'd likely have just done one event at the NCs again, surely?
    Also worth remembering is in 2016 she did a 22.1 at pre in May; was thrashed in Oslo in June (she ran 22.6 against Schipper's 21.9) and did one rd at the JAM NCs at the start of July in 23.3. Then no 200s for 6 weeks...and came out in Rio and ran 21.78.
    So prior to Rio she went 10.70/22.16. This season she has done 10.73/22.00 thus far. There is every reason to believe she is in her best form, we just aren't seeing dominant runs on the circuit because of her training. I believe if she runs the 200 in Doha she will do something great again and be well under 22 secs an likely win.

6. Collapse Details

On Seyni.. I wasn't expecting a 49-low from her so early and she's the wildcard right now no doubt, but she's not going to keep popping PRs until the end of time. I have more confidence in the proven consistency we've seen from the big two rather than Seyni's erratic and inconsistent performances. Plus Naser is still undefeated against her this year, despite the narrow margin of victory in Lausanne.

I reserve the right to change my mind after the London DL...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    I agree with scorpionking that on paper it looks like Naser has over raced.
    Talk about a tough crowd. If they don't show up enough on the circuit, we complain that they're ducking and leading T&F to ruin. If they do show up, they're over-racing.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Talk about a tough crowd. If they don't show up enough on the circuit, we complain that they're ducking and leading T&F to ruin. If they do show up, they're over-racing.
    Count me solidly in the race all the freaking time corner. Jeremy Wariner was just fine racing a lot and others have been as well.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Count me solidly in the race all the freaking time corner. Jeremy Wariner was just fine racing a lot and others have been as well.
    Agreed. It's hooey that Naser has overraced thus far this season.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Paced View Post
    On Seyni.. I wasn't expecting a 49-low from her so early and she's the wildcard right now no doubt, but she's not going to keep popping PRs until the end of time. I have more confidence in the proven consistency we've seen from the big two rather than Seyni's erratic and inconsistent performances. Plus Naser is still undefeated against her this year, despite the narrow margin of victory in Lausanne.

I reserve the right to change my mind after the London DL...
    Is Seyni that erratic, though? She lost to Naser by 0.11 in Rabat and 0.02 in Lausanne, and has won every other race this year. Her times have been somewhat erratic, but - much like Naser - she's always done enough to win against lower-quality opposition.