Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 184
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionking View Post
    I hear him on that count. However, what many tend to forget Is the schedule played the villain in that debacle more then anything Miller-Uibo did or didn' t do. We cannot underestimate the impact of proper rest/recovery between events during a 200/400 double attempt. It already a very difficult feat to attempt on its own but when you throw in poor scheduling and bad weather well that was a recipe for potential disaster.

    Shaunae ran the semi against Felix (which was strange because there were 3 semi's and 9 of 10 times they would have been separated). The next day when everyone else was recovering, she had to warm up to run the first round of the 200. That overlapping of events exacted its toll. When MJ and Perec did it there was a crucial rest day separating the events. If she is to try this again next year that rest day will need to be encorporated otherwise it makes no sense to even try it in my opinion.

    On top of all that, the cold and rain met the women's 400 final on the London track the night of that event. This was unfortunate. When lactic conspires with poor conditions a hefty price must be paid. The 400 had nay a rebuttal--No medal. It's a small miracle the 200 survived for bronze. That curve was atrocious!

    The elephant in the room--why are the schedule organizers not interested in accommodating that double? Is it not marketing gold for the sport, those events and the fans?
    Not too much to add except:

    - I don't believe SMU ran against Felix in the semi. I thought it was Naser and Felix in the same semi.

    - No idea why they don't go out of their to accommodate the 200/400 double. For women, it is utterly impossible this year with the 200 SF only 45 mins after the 400 SF. For men, a little more manageable but still nuts - the 400 heats are a few hours before the 200 F. The 400 should begin during one of the first two days in my opinion, alongside the 100.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    Posts
    6,278
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    Not too much to add except:

    - I don't believe SMU ran against Felix in the semi. I thought it was Naser and Felix in the same semi.

    - No idea why they don't go out of their to accommodate the 200/400 double. For women, it is utterly impossible this year with the 200 SF only 45 mins after the 400 SF. For men, a little more manageable but still nuts - the 400 heats are a few hours before the 200 F. The 400 should begin during one of the first two days in my opinion, alongside the 100.
    Naser and Felix were in heat 2, SMU in heat 1.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    Not too much to add except:

    - I don't believe SMU ran against Felix in the semi. I thought it was Naser and Felix in the same semi.

    - No idea why they don't go out of their to accommodate the 200/400 double. For women, it is utterly impossible this year with the 200 SF only 45 mins after the 400 SF. For men, a little more manageable but still nuts - the 400 heats are a few hours before the 200 F. The 400 should begin during one of the first two days in my opinion, alongside the 100.
    This. Especially since two of the sports new young stars run both (SMU, Michael Norman).

    I've always felt in major championships the 100 and 400 should start off the meet with both running on the same days.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    So SMU is not on the start lists for the London DL either, so that's now just 1/10 DL meets she's done in 2019.

    On the other hand, Naser and Seyni face off in the 400m again.
    Thompson runs the non DL 200m....to avoid SAFP, who leads a stacked field in the 100m.

    Even though they're avoiding each other, at least we're getting to see Thompson & SAFP race in DL meets. And when novice Seyni has run more DL races this year than last years number 1 over 200/400 SMU, you have to wonder why. Is the DL even working if it can't attract the top sprinter?

    Come Doha, you have to wonder whether SMU will regret not racing Naser or Seyni before. At least they have the measure of each other. Not racing your main competition at such a distance may be detrimental.
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 07-17-2019 at 06:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,565
    SMU raced Naser once last year and that was enough to beat her by a metre in a PB and perhaps she and her coach feel that's the best option to adopt again. Naser is improving but has taken more races to get in that kind of shape and SMU looks to be having a lighter start into Doha.

    Lyles her training partner has taken a similar start to the year with more modest racing compared to some others.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Naser and Felix were in heat 2, SMU in heat 1.
    Noted, it was the Rio 2016 games where Felix and Miller met in semi #3.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    So SMU is not on the start lists for the London DL either, so that's now just 1/10 DL meets she's done in 2019.

    On the other hand, Naser and Seyni face off in the 400m again.
    Thompson runs the non DL 200m....to avoid SAFP, who leads a stacked field in the 100m.

    Even though they're avoiding each other, at least we're getting to see Thompson & SAFP race in DL meets. And when novice Seyni has run more DL races this year than last years number 1 over 200/400 SMU, you have to wonder why. Is the DL even working if it can't attract the top sprinter?

    Come Doha, you have to wonder whether SMU will regret not racing Naser or Seyni before. At least they have the measure of each other. Not racing your main competition at such a distance may be detrimental.
    Some may posit the opposite which is that Naser is over racing. She began the year at the Asian Championships way back in April doubling heats and finals 200, 400 plus relays (both 4x1 and 4x4). Since then she has raced frequently on the circuit almost every week. I am pretty certain she will contest the diamond league final at which point Doha won't be under way for another 3-4 weeks.

    At that point she would have been racing frequently for 5-6 months. Coupled with the titan season she put down last year ..too much?
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Naser is giving her a good run for her money for that title though and isn't far behind.

    SMU has shown really dominant form with her 2 x 200m wins, her 300m world best and then 2 x super fast 400s, all unbeaten. Naser is showing a different kind of dominance, with her 2 x 100m wins; her 5 x 200m (3 x 1st; 1 x 2nd; 1 x 4th) and her 9 x 400m (!!!) all wins.

    So I would say Naser is dominatinged the circuit over 400m this season, as she did last, and I am hoping she takes a break from racing soon. I really want to see her at her best against SMU and Seyni and them all racing the 400 in Doha; it could be a classic.
    SMU is the only top sprinter, male or female, who has remained undefeated over the last two years, across two events no less. She could enter either the 200m or 400m and start as favourite. Naser has certainly been a dominant force in the 400m, but last time they went head to head SMU came out on top, and I'm not convinced that the outcome will be different this year.

    I'd consider Michael Norman to be more dominant than Naser.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Paced View Post
    Naser has certainly been a dominant force in the 400m, but last time they went head to head SMU came out on top, and I'm not convinced that the outcome will be different this year.
    The question is whether she would cross the line first.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    At this stage of the game, SMU could run 48.5 and lose, and not to Naser.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •