Facts, Not Fiction

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Hassan really won this meet for me! So happy to see her going from strength to strength. In just two short seasons, I feel like she's quickly become one of the top 5 female distance runners of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paced View Post
    SMU is surely the most dominant sprinter on the planet.
    Indeed! She's run quite a bit against top competition and has managed to go unbeaten last year and this year thus far. Her mettle will certainly be tested against the two young guns in Doha in that w400m, but she has all the artillery to prevail and produce a 48.5x.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Paced View Post
    SMU is surely the most dominant sprinter on the planet.
    Naser is giving her a good run for her money for that title though and isn't far behind.

SMU has shown really dominant form with her 2 x 200m wins, her 300m world best and then 2 x super fast 400s, all unbeaten. Naser is showing a different kind of dominance, with her 2 x 100m wins; her 5 x 200m (3 x 1st; 1 x 2nd; 1 x 4th) and her 9 x 400m (!!!) all wins.

So I would say Naser is dominatinged the circuit over 400m this season, as she did last, and I am hoping she takes a break from racing soon. I really want to see her at her best against SMU and Seyni and them all racing the 400 in Doha; it could be a classic.

What is striking is that SMU has only raced at one Diamond League meet this season, out of the 9 we've had so far (and there are only 5 left and she wont be racing all of those) There's been four 400s and five 200s, and she's just done one 200m. Yet she has been racing elsewhere. In some ways this miffs me, because selfishly it robs us of more head to heads - and she could of course be earning more $$ - but she's taking the approach that suites her, not unlike that of Koch/Perec, who would race in multiple sprint events but not over race. It's serving her very well. I would just like to see her at more big DLs.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AFelixFan View Post
    Indeed! She's run quite a bit against top competition and has managed to go unbeaten last year and this year thus far.
    Well, she only raced Naser once last year, and hasn't met her yet this year...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post

(This fearless prediction brought to you by a middle distance runner whose only lifetime PV attempt had my pole missing the box, and me sliding on my back through sawdust, coming to a stop, and asking our real vaulter, "Did I make it?")
    I was also a middle-distance runner. In HS, after the last meet of the season, they made us do a "decathlon", including the PV. I vaulted on a skinny, metal pole at about 7 feet; I got the pole in the box, got over the bar, but neglected to let go of the pole. Oops! I declined further attempts.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by reggaeirie1234 View Post
    Why Coleman would be on any leg other than the lead off is beyond me.
    Totally agree. You need someone with a strong finish on the anchor. If I was the coach Lyles would anchor.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Well, she only raced Naser once last year, and hasn't met her yet this year...
    SMU will eat Naser's lunch.

7. Collapse Details

SMU is on another level this year, esp in the w200. Up til last year, she would have a pedestrian first half and rely on running everyone down over the last half. It served her well most of the time, but sometimes she had too much to make up (WC 2017). This year, she seems to be right up there with all the fast 100 women, even leading them at the top of the curve. It's too bad the 2/4 schedule conflicts, because as good as she is over the 400, I think she could throw down something truly special in the 200. I would even go so far as to say her best chance at gold is in the 200, the 400 is a bit of uncertainty and there is way more chance to mess up that race.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    SMU will eat Naser's lunch.
    And then beat her on a full belly! To be fair, Naser will have to run with stomach pangs.

9. Collapse Details

Anyone who thinks that SMU is a near-certainty/dominant is not reading the results and season the same way as I am. Among other things she has a past with some racing flaws. While she seems to have solved them, they might reappear under the stress of a 48-second challenge, especially if there are two strong challengers with speed in different parts of the race that might pull her out of her best race plan.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Anyone who thinks that SMU is a near-certainty/dominant is not reading the results and season the same way as I am. Among other things she has a past with some racing flaws. While she seems to have solved them, they might reappear under the stress of a 48-second challenge, especially if there are two strong challengers with speed in different parts of the race that might pull her out of her best race plan.
    You STILL on about that? One of her so called "racing flaws" that you keep bringing up, she ended up still winning the race and OLYMPIC GOLD.

Stress can appear for anyone. Are you trying to imply that only SMU will be feeling the stress up against two strong challengers? The same can be said of those other two running against Miller. They too can be pulled out of their best race plan.