Facts, Not Fiction

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    As a pro, if there were even a scintilla of doubt, I'd run.
    If you lose, so what?
    If you win (and post a good result), you've 'shown' that you were the best that day, DQ or no DQ.
    So as a "pro" sportsmanship goes out the window for you?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    So as a "pro" sportsmanship goes out the window for you?
    What is non sportsmanship-like about running a race within the protest rules (apparently)?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    What is non sportsmanship-like about running a race within the protest rules (apparently)?
    Bingo. Protests are sustained every now and then. If ya don't run, ya got nothing to protest for.

4. Collapse Details

Hassan has taken 9 seconds off her 3k best this year. If she only makes the same improvement over her 14:22 5k best she'll be within 2 seconds of the world record. I suspect her improvement will mean something like 15 seconds faster at 5k, or 14:07. If she ran sub 14 that would be really special.

5. Collapse Details

Bingo. Protests are sustained every now and then. If ya don't run, ya got nothing to protest for.
    In New York that is known as taking a shot. As portrayed in your example it smacks of acting like a wise guy or a sharpie. I don't like it.

6. Collapse Details

In New York that is known as taking a shot. As portrayed in your example it smacks of acting like a wise guy or a sharpie. I don't like it.
    ??!!
    Al you have to say is, 'I respect your authority, but the rules say I may protest, so I will. If, after due process, my DQ stands, so be it.'
    Is it disrespectful when an NFL coach throws his challenge flag? That is essentially calling the ref's judgement into question.

7. Collapse Details

SMU is surely the most dominant sprinter on the planet.

8. Collapse Details

Atticus, in an instance where it is obvious that a runner jumped the gun, to run under protest is absolutely absurd and you know it. That is the point. The rest of your argument is nonsense. Sorry.

9. Collapse Details

Atticus, in an instance where it is obvious that a runner jumped the gun, to run under protest is absolutely absurd.
    I agree. My caveat already covered that. There has to be some doubt.There have been cases where a runner obviously jumped the gun, but it was found that there was a noise that caused it.

10. Collapse Details

Whatever happened to the "I'm protesting the decision, so I'm going to run anyway, and then you can show me the proof later." Didn't Drummond and others do that on occasion?
    IAAF tightened Rule 146.4(a)

Competing “under protest” shall not be allowed if the false start was indicated by an IAAF certified Start Information System, unless for any reason the Referee determines that the information provided by the System is obviously inaccurate.
    The current IAAF Rulebook (unlike previous editions) embeds interpretations in the Rules, sort of a casebook. There is an extensive writeup following 146.4.

As far as this case, I agree with all the posts that say Montgomery should have been booted. The officials mucked this up as badly as I can remember in a meet at this level. (Feel free to see me and raise me one.)