Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lawrence Okoye puts athletics on hold
    First it was Marquise Goodwin (although that was expected) now it may be Lawrence Okoye:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... lanta.html

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Lawrence Okoye puts athletics on hold
    I expect Jacko Gill will be invited to NFL tryouts after 2016.

3. Collapse Details
    They referenced good Combine scores, which I couldn't find with a couple minutes searching. Anyone find/see them?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rainy.here
    They referenced good Combine scores, which I couldn't find with a couple minutes searching. Anyone find/see them?
    He did not attend the NFL Combine. The NFL holds regional combines, and he said that he attended one of those.

5. Collapse Details
    Doesn't it help to have actually played the game before? I always look at situations like this with a large grain of salt; initially at least.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by marknhj
    Doesn't it help to have actually played the game before?
    Usually, but there are a few really talented guys who have been succesful playing football without much experience. I don't think Jimmy Graham, NO Saints TE, played more than one year of college before going pro and I'm not sure if he had any high school football experience. (but he was American so the nuances of the game, even if unfamiliar, weren't completely foreign). A few other tight ends have had very little experience (Gates). But since we're talking about Okoye, there is another athlete who was an Okoye trailblazer.

Christian Okoye
    Okoye was born in Enugu, Nigeria and did not play American football until 1984, when he joined the squad at California's Azusa Pacific University. He excelled in track & field, winning seven college titles in the shotput, discus, and hammer throw. The first time he attended an American football game he thought the game was boring.[1]
    After the Nigerian government failed to select Okoye for the Olympics, he sought something else to do besides track & field and went out for American football. Initially, Okoye did not enjoy the roughness of football and thought about quitting but friends convinced him to continue playing.[1] His track speed (40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds and about 10.50 seconds in the 100 meters) was unusual for someone his size (6'1" and 260 lb), and this rare combination of talents led to his selection in the second round of the 1987 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs.

7. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Not that I've ever played/coached the position, but I'm guessing somebody with monster size/strength/speed can relatively quickly be made into a situational pass rusher of quality. So long as they like pain, that is.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GDAWG
    Quote Originally Posted by rainy.here
    He did not attend the NFL Combine. The NFL holds regional combines, and he said that he attended one of those.
    I know - otherwise it would have been easy to find.

9. Collapse Details
    Given his physical attributes and the fact that he excelled at rugby and track, he has a very good chance of succeeding.

Christain Okoye ended up being one of the best running backs of the mid 1980s despite having never played football until he was in his 20s

10. Collapse Details
    [quote=rainy.here]
    Quote Originally Posted by GDAWG
    Quote Originally Posted by "rainy.here":2as0lpfi
    I know - otherwise it would have been easy to find. [/quote:2as0lpfi]

He's supposed to be participating in the NFL Super Regional Combine this weekend (April 6-7) in Dallas. The Super Regional is by invitation only, and includes athletes who were standouts in the various Regional Combines... NFL.COM and NFL Network are both covering the Super Regional Combine, so maybe more information will be available regarding Okoye's Combine performance in Dallas.