Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I've now found serveral references on the web to the fact that the age limit has been reduced from 28 to 25. I could have been mistaken about its having been 25 at an earlier point in time.
    My memory was that originally there was only the enrolment requirement because most athletes were over and done with by mid-20s anyway.

The age restriction was brought in to avoid athletes stretching out their enrolments until the end of their careers. I thought it was 26 years.

However, I couldn't find a reference on FISU website or Wikipedia about historical age qualifications but I found hammerers Ken Flax (USA) and Heinz Weis (GER) competing in the 1991 version when both were 28 (born in 1963).

2. Collapse Details

Found 28 year old DTer, Wolfgang Warnemünde (GDR) in the 1981 version, so it couldn't have been 25 or 26.

3. Collapse Details

Found 28 year old HTer Uwe Beyer (FRG) in the 1973 version. If it was lower than 28 it might have been for short periods in between but I'm not going to reveiw every version.

4. Collapse Details

The https://results.universiade2019napoli.it/#/schedule website sucks.

Swimming get live results & live-stream of their heats, but not athletics

ETA - FINALLY live results have been added to the above page.
    Last edited by Vault-emort; 07-08-2019 at 02:38 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Surely the most famous example of a 'mature' student in track & field at these games is Pietro Mennea's WR 200m in Mexico City in 1979 at the age of 27.

I assume the World University cross-country Champs has followed the same age-limit as the summer Games as I remember about 20 years ago that the UK couldn't select the British Universities champs Keith Anderson who was a mature student of about 37!

25 seems a sensible limit because it generally allows for those taking longer degrees such as medicine and law.

6. Collapse Details

I see 3 USAnians ran the w800 (Pocratsky Q, Aveni q, Ealum DNQ), didn't know this was possible, thought there was a 2-per-country limit per event.

Also w800, didn't know Mari Smith (GBR, 5th EI)'s real name is Damaris Grace!

A third thing, what are the rules about keeping athletes from the same country apart? The two Ukrainians were drawn in the same w400 semi, the first two aforementioned USAnians in the w800 were in the same heat and two Hong Kong athletes ran in the same heat of the m100.
    Last edited by andyjgt; 07-08-2019 at 04:46 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    The age restriction was brought in to avoid athletes stretching out their enrolments until the end of their careers. I thought it was 26 years.
    The whole concept is out-dated now. Having 'university students' was a valid concept back in the day (albeit elitist), but today, all over the world, taking classes at a university is no longer a 18-22yo thing. Plus, do vocational schools count? Welding school is the real deal and a little more practical than a PhD in . . . philosophy. The concept is simply passé. U23 championships are the appropriate venue now.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I remember when Sheffield, England had the 1991 World Student Games....someone on the city council convinced the city that this was a great sporting event....it was a financial disaster....but they did get a nice aquatic centre still in use and a fine track, Don Valley Stadium, that isn't.... because of annual upkeep costs they demolished it a few years ago. Seb Coe who grew up in Sheffield apparently didn't give a toss....since he did nothing to stop it's destruction.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-08-2019 at 06:26 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Same for Buffalo in 1993

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    T... The concept is simply passé. U23 championships are the appropriate venue now.
    perhaps, but you're not going to find much in the way of sponsors for such a nebulous concept, unlike backing "university students"