Facts, Not Fiction

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Ayana has withdrawn

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    To me, post-championship meets have always been an important part of the season.
    Absolutely. I don't even mind when champions just go through the motions, but give everyone a couple of more chances to show their stuff. They are at their absolute peak, and can hold that for 2 more weeks with not much effort at all.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    .. They are at their absolute peak, and can hold that for 2 more weeks with not much effort at all.
    Physically yes, but mentally not so much. All kinds of people have their competitive bubble burst after an OG/WC win/medal.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Physically yes, but mentally not so much. All kinds of people have their competitive bubble burst after an OG/WC win/medal.
    Sure, some do, but many don't. Historically, many records have been set at the post-championship meets.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

Day 1 start lists are now up on the IAAF site. Gebrhiwet is missing from the men's 5K; the Ethiopian team is Muktar Edris, Telahun Haile Bekele, Selemon Barega and Abadi Hadis.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    Day 1 start lists are now up on the IAAF site. Gebrhiwet is missing from the men's 5K; the Ethiopian team is Muktar Edris, Telahun Haile Bekele, Selemon Barega and Abadi Hadis.
    I guess they want Hagos to concentrate on the 10 and win it.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

7. Collapse Details

my favorite after WC meet result: Jeter's 10.64 in September after her bronze in Berlin

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    This is true for many, but I do agree with Powell, we've had some great post meet head to heads over the years, and I feel a bit robbed as a fan with no post Doha meets (although of course I understand why)

The post games meets are all about the championship winner having another opportunity to prove themselves, and for them to be on display to the fans. You want to see the gold medal winner that season, not have to wait until the next year. For those who didn't win gold, it's also their chance to get revenge. For me, this is particularly important, and over the years we've had some great post champs meets. My personal favourites include Ottey's 10.74 from 96, and of course the classic Ashford v Gohr clash in 1984.

Keep the Champs in August, and save some key meetings for after, with big money on offer. The problem, alas, as I have said many times, is the shifting of the competition circuit earlier in the calendar. Years ago you were lucky if the big non-US names came out before the very end of May - most didn't appear until June - but now so many top names are competing from April, and flying from Shanghai to NYC to Doha...its watered down the traditionally big European meets in the middle/later in the circuit. I totally understand the push to globalise the sport and hold meets all over, but I don't want this to be to the detriment of the peak months/meets.
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 09-26-2019 at 08:03 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    A "defense" of the Brit position to say no to some IAAF invites now posted on home page