Facts, Not Fiction

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    IAAF has now released the final entry lists... link on home page
    So Kloster and Hassan still in for the 1500/5000 double. Is it really too hard to require a decision BEFORE the meet? I must assume someone didn't get in because of this?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So Kloster and Hassan still in for the 1500/5000 double. Is it really too hard to require a decision BEFORE the meet? I must assume someone didn't get in because of this?
    If they declared right now, it wouldn't matter for those who missed out on an invitation due to these two having booked extra spots. A few days ago, I made this exact point here, but nobody agreed with me it was a wrong thing to do. Personally, I believe athletes shouldn't be allowed to enter an extra event just in case. Entering and not showing up for an event should be treated as a DNS, with the same consequences.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

I doubt it, there's 42 on the final 1500m entry list, 38 for the 5000. Targets were 45 and 42, so even by the flawed IAAF book keeping, there's spots left. I am sure there were athletes who would have accepted an invite, but they only had one additional day to fill these, can't ask very many athletes in one day since they have one day to reply.

4. Collapse Details

I just happened to notice that Zersenay Tadese is in the WC marathon. He is well past his peak and has never been able to transfer his great half-marathon results to the longer race, even in the Nike two-hour attempt, where he ran 2:06:51. His best legal marathon was 2:08:46 for 5th in Berlin last year. Still, he has had some big successes in hot weather, notably the world cross in 2007, when he broke Bekele's string of golds in Mombassa.

Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

5. Collapse Details

The "final" entries have four Kenyans in the 5000, including the two who had issues with not being tested enough. (Jacob Kirop is listed as "Krop" and Simiyu is listed as "Daniel Simiu Ebenyo".) I guess that means they got around that problem somehow. The order of finish in the trial was Kibet, Simiyu, Kimeli, Kiprop, so Kiprop is probably a reserve.

Mike Rowbottom's W 5000 preview for the IAAF treats both Hassan and Klosterhalfen as contenders, with no mention of the fact that neither is definitely running it. OTOH, the 1500 preview by Steve Landelis addresses the uncertainty of both and says of Hassan, "current indications are that she will opt for the 5000m over the 1500m". He doesn't say what the "indications" are, however.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    The "final" entries have four Kenyans in the 5000, including the two who had issues with not being tested enough. (Jacob Kirop is listed as "Krop" and Simiyu is listed as "Daniel Simiu Ebenyo".) I guess that means they got around that problem somehow. The order of finish in the trial was Kibet, Simiyu, Kimeli, Kiprop, so Kiprop is probably a reserve....
    according to story we posted to home page this morning, Simiyu is out

7. Collapse Details

Simiyu and Kibet both out as the story now reads.

If trials had been held earlier, maybe there would have been time to get the required tests for the high placers.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    Simiyu and Kibet both out as the story now reads.

If trials had been held earlier, maybe there would have been time to get the required tests for the high placers.
    So, that leaves Nicholas Kimeli and Jacob Kiprop (not Kirop, not Krop). Kiprop is 18, PB 13:14.44, 2nd in African U20 to Edward Zakayo, also 13:17.97 in June to win in Carquefou.

Kimeli was 2nd to Telahun Haile (Bekele) in Hengelo in June in PB 12:57.90, also broke 13 in Zurich (3rd) and has three more sub-13:10 marks before finishing 3rd in their trial.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

9. Collapse Details

Probably been said but perhaps issues most acute this champs being late and no one competing post Doha. Might get better traction in future years.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Probably been said but perhaps issues most acute this champs being late and no one competing post Doha.
    The latter is what bothers me about it. To me, post-championship meets have always been an important part of the season. Some people (mostly distance runners) will use them to attack records while they're still in top shape. Some will want to take revenge after failing in WC/OG, or conversely, to prove their success was wel deserved. This year will be the first one in ages when we don't get that. Even in 1988, there was a meet or two in Japan post OG featuring major stars.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...