Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    he has now tweeted that he's in
    Awesome!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by carfu View Post
    Re: Salwa Eid Naser
    Following the day's conversation, I did some research and found this https://www.opalapaaraka.com/meet-me which I hope will close the debate about her father. IMO, the "Bahraini father" story was invented to to give a legal veneer to a transfer of allegiance that took place when she was not 18 yet (assuming her official date of birth is correct)
    Well done, carfu! That's good detective work.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    Love to see Willis get in. Hopefully, he didn't mentally check out for the season and start eating cake!
    He just won the Fifth Avenue Mile in NYC, which had a pretty good lineup.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    Turkey is pretty much all Muslim, and Turkish names aren't much different from English names if you substitute Arabic/Muslim origin for Biblical/Christian origin: it happens a lot but is by no means universal, and the spelling and pronunciation have changed a fair bit on the way.
    What I find strange is that a lot of Turkish names, especially given names, seem to violate vowel harmony, where vowels of one type cannot be followed (after consonants!) by vowels of a different type, e.g. "back" vowels (a, undotted i, o, u) by "front" vowels (e, i, umlauted o and u) or vice versa, except in certain invariable suffixes (e.g. -ert), and similar restrictions apply between "rounded" (o, u and umlauted o and u) and "unrounded" vowels (a, e, i, undotted i). (Lopen you will be familiar with this from Finnish, although I believe there is no rounding harmony in your language.)

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    He just won the Fifth Avenue Mile in NYC, which had a pretty good lineup.
    Yes, but at the time, he might still have thought that he had a good chance of getting an invite.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Yes, but at the time, he might still have thought that he had a good chance of getting an invite.
    He did. He was interviewed after the run and said as much.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    From the article linked to the front page about "Lack of Irish TV from Doha"...

"Mark English has missed out on a spot in the 800m under the new quota qualifying system, his 1:45.94 just shy of the automatic 1:45:80. He was ranked 41st of the 48 entries, only for eight places to go to countries permitted to send one athlete without any standard (Oman, UAE, East Timor, Myanmar, Kosovo, Jordan, Equatorial Guinea and Andorra)"
    English has now been invited.

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news...ps-selections/

8. Collapse Details

Have any Ukrainians been invited? Klymyuk (w400) seemed to be angry that she (and Melnyk) were not invited, when I saw the lists I saw that four “universality” athletes had knocked them out.

Mind you, both will be running both the mixed and women’s 4x4.

It even looks as though Shukh is in a qualifying position! Sloboda should definitely go. (Norunner, Maiwald too I guess.)

Btw Zoey Clark has also run 52.18 for GBR and she is in the relay teams so it should probably be her, not Amber Anning, on the “next non qualified” list. Amber has ended her season as she starts at a US college. (Zoey, and Amy Allcock (52.21), will run the mixed relay.)
    Last edited by andyjgt; 09-21-2019 at 07:43 PM.

9. Collapse Details

If ever we needed one more example why the current system is utter crap, here we go: Nick Willis received an invite today, which he declined. After the initial invitation process where he was not invited he thought his season was over and went into break. His federation repeatedly tried to get him invited but the final word from the IAAF was that it was not going to happen. It happened today, but because of all the previous crap he'd stopped preparing, so he declined because he simply isn't ready anymore.
    The abhorrent intransparency of the IAAF invitation process cost another great athlete his chance to perform.
    Last edited by norunner; 09-21-2019 at 08:17 PM.

10. Collapse Details

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Re: Nick Willis above.