Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    So, are you saying that the IAAF should create a special system just for the USA?
    Not at all.

2. Collapse Details

So, are you saying that the IAAF should create a special system just for the USA?
    Oh yes. I think that goes without saying!

3. Collapse Details

No, they should create a system for everyone's benefit. The IAAF site should have an official list like the 'Road to...' that gets continually updated. And they, unlike norunner, have the power to force the federations to report all relevant results to them. The sanction could be that all results not reported within, say, a week will not count for qualifying purposes.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    But Baker, who was 4th in the final, had a time that would surely get her an IAAF invite if USATF doesn't name Brown to the team. Knowing that, shouldn't USATF confirm with the IAAF that she's going to be invited, and then name her to the team ahead of Brown, who did not make the final in Des Moines.
    Baker did not have the standard by the end of the "Selection Event" on July 28. She cannot displace Brown, who was the next rank-order athlete in the 800 with the standard by the deadline.

http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calend...rocedures.aspx

"The top three (3) finishers, in Performance Rank Order at the USATF Outdoor Track & Field Championships will automatically select themselves to the USATF team for the World Championships (the “Team”), provided that (a) each has, achieved the applicable IAAF World standard between September 7, 2018 and July 28, 2019, Please take special note that U.S. athletes must have achieved the IAAF entry standard no later than July 28, 2019, which is the final day of the Selection Event."

5. Collapse Details

Yes, I saw that language. But elsewhere, they provide for the possibility of accepting an IAAF invitation, and those invitations are extended only to those who have not achieved the IAAF entry standard. So there's a conflict in those two provisions. As I've said earlier, the language of the selection procedures document is ambiguous. It could have and should have been more clear. This situation could certainly have been anticipated.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Yes, I saw that language. But elsewhere, they provide for the possibility of accepting an IAAF invitation, and those invitations are extended only to those who have not achieved the IAAF entry standard. So there's a conflict in those two provisions. As I've said earlier, the language of the selection procedures document is ambiguous. It could have and should have been more clear. This situation could certainly have been anticipated.
    If the IAAF wants to allow the US to have five women in the 800, I'm sure USATF would not argue. But I don't think they would (or should) bypass Brown, a qualified athlete, in favor of an invited athlete if only four are allowed.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Oh yes. I think that goes without saying!
    Yep, you can always rely on Canoe U to tell it like it is. And by the way Atticus, I was gutted that Army didn't take down Michigan in regular time.

8. Collapse Details

I was gutted that Army didn't take down Michigan in regular time.
    I would have had no problem with that. Service academies gotta stick together (till they play each other).

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    If the IAAF wants to allow the US to have five women in the 800, I'm sure USATF would not argue. But I don't think they would (or should) bypass Brown, a qualified athlete, in favor of an invited athlete if only four are allowed.
    The way I see it, they'd be bypassing an athlete who didn't make the final at our Trials meet in favor of an athlete who finished fourth.

Let me quote the selection procedures document:

>> The following criteria will be used to select athletes for the U.S. Team for the 2019 IAAF World Championships in Athletics (“World Championships”) in individual events:

The athlete's rank order of place finish in an event at the 2019 USATF Outdoor Track & Field Championships (the “Selection Event”).<<

If the first criterion is the rank order of place finish at the Selection Event, that should govern how we resolve a conflict between the requirement that the IAAF standard has been met at the time of the Selection Event and the provision that allow USATF to accept an IAAF invitation to an athlete who has not not met the IAAF standard.

I suspect that Olivia Baker and her law dude would agree with me. I also suspect that a court or arbitrator would agree, if it came to that.
    Last edited by tandfman; 09-08-2019 at 02:16 AM.

10. Collapse Details

We can agree to disagree.