Facts, Not Fiction

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

More Finnish invites are trickling in too; Elmo Lakka got a spot in the 110mH, and Sara Kuivisto was added in the 800 (she already had an invite in the 1500).

2. Collapse Details

Three Hungarians added: Norbert Rivasz-Tóth, Réka Szilágyi, János Huszák.

3. Collapse Details

My guess is, there were lots of complaints from national federations about empty spots and fields not being filled. Here is one example (of many) from Slovakia regarding Stanislava Lajčáková:
    https://sport.sme.sk/c/22216774/stan...tike-2019.html
    That may have changed their minds and got them to restart the process.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    This is also a problem for athletes. Some of them probably assumed their season was over after the IAAF published the provisional lists. May have booked holidays, went back to work, whatever, but they certainly didn't spend any time getting ready for a major championship.
    That's always going to be an issue with the invites, even if the process worked faster. This year it's made a lot worse by the timing of the WC, which means anyone not going to Doha would end their season before the champs.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

Muslim naming conventions are very different to non-Muslim/secular conventions. In Islam is also customary for the father to choose the name of a child, he has that right - because generally he is the one after whom the child will be named (son of, or daughter of…) etc. So if her father was a Bahraini Muslim, I doubt she would have been born with her original name. Plus sources suggest she converted to Islam when she moved to Bahrain.

Anyway, as I said, names and her father's origins aside, we do know that she moved to Bahrain in 2014 with her Nigerian coach.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Out of the more recent Bahraini imports (Rose Chelimo, Mimi Belete, Kemi Adekoya, Albert Rop etc.), none has assumed a Muslim name when they switched, so it doesn't appear to be the standard these days. There's a possibility that with a dual nationality, Naser had two names to start with, so to say - one she used in Nigeria, another one in Bahrain.
    But she converted when she moved over. Besides, Islam does not allow its followers to have non Muslim names, the conventions are quite strict. She changed her name when she moved to Bahrain and converted to Islam. No idea why any of the others didn't.

Re Mark Butler, yep, very familiar with him. But as I said, I trust Nigerian news sources on Nigerian athletes more ;-)

7. Collapse Details

I stayed up way past my bedtime reading about Salwa Eid Naser and crosschecking articles. It's clear there is a lot of inconsistent information in print, so it's no wonder people have different stories about her.

However, without producing a fully referenced report, the truthiest story is that it appears most likely that she was born in Nigeria to a Nigerian mother, Ifeoma, who was a 100/200 sprinter in school.

She started her sporting career in Nigeria, in Ananbra State under the name Ebelechukwu Agbapuonwu.

Anambra State is in the southern part of Nigeria where the majority of Christians live - Muslims are primarily in the north. It borders the Niger river and is north of Rivers state which contains Port Harcourt, on the southern coast of Nigeria.

She became 400m Champion at the 2013 School Sports in Port Harcourt.

Given that she represented Bahrain the following year in the 2014 Arab Games, it seems unlikely that she "moved to Bahrain as a child" and "discovered her love for running" in that country, as is sometimes reported.

There seems to be no information on the father, other than that he was Bahraini. This sounds like a bullshit story to go with "moved as a kid to dad's home country so it must be legit". But then, I'm naturally distrusting.

Her initial coach in Bahrain was a Nigerian, John George Obeya, who had attended several major championships coaching Nigerian athletes but, according to him, was unemployed when he accepted a coaching job in Bahrain, seemingly in 2010.

If this is the case, then Salwa Eid Naser didn't move to Bahrain with her coach, it was most likely a later recruitment as Obeya has done with other Nigerian athletes.

After she competed in Cali, she apparently changed coaches to Bulgarian Yanko Bratanov but by 2017 seemed to be back with Obeya.

As an aside, Bratanov was the first Bulgarian to run 400mH in under 50s and finished 6th in the 400mH final in the Montreal OG. He first coached in the Middle East in 1992 in Qatar, where he was responsible for Samuel Francis (born in Port Harcourt) and Femi Ogunode (born in Ondo State, SW Nigeria). He also coached ex-Nigerian Bahraini Kemi Adekoya, recently suspended for an AAF.

Noting that Salwa Eid Naser has been reported as telling conflicting stories about the Bahrain connection and her start in the sport, we will probably only know for sure once she retires and/or the Bahraini pension runs out and if anybody cares at that stage...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Islam does not allow its followers to have non Muslim names
    There are many followers of Islam who do not have Muslim names, at least not names that they use publicly. At least two of them are current Congressmen (Ralph Ellison and André Carson). I've known several Muslims personally who do not have Muslim names that I'm aware of.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    They just published the provisional lists yesterday.
    lists they posted the PDFs were dated the 18th (Wednesday) and that seems to still be what's available

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Besides, Islam does not allow its followers to have non Muslim names, the conventions are quite strict.

Nonsense. So called "Muslim" names are Arabic names.
    The idea that followers have to come up with Arabic names is Fake News. I lived in Indonesia, the largest Islamic country, and Arabic names were rare.