Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    mSP going into Doha
    While gravity seems to be on the increase for mHJers, it's weakening for mSPs. We have 7 over 22.20 (almost 72') now.

22.74 Ryan CROUSER
    22.61 Darlan ROMANI
    22.44 Tomas WALSH
    22.35 Darrell HILL
    22.32 Michał HARATYK
    22.31 Joe KOVACS
    22.22 Bob BERTEMES

And Bukowiecki just upped his PR to 21.99, with Mihaljevic and Enekwechi over 21.80 too.

The top 3 names 'should' medal, but if any of the rest has a great day, he'll be in.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

And Bukowiecki just upped his PR to 21.99
    Bukowiecki's latest 3 competitions ended in 21.91, 21.92 and 21.99. I think he's ripe for a major breakthrough.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Bukowiecki's latest 3 competitions ended in 21.91, 21.92 and 21.99. I think he's ripe for a major breakthrough.
    either that or the best 4th-place mark ever (currently 21.94 by Romani at Z last year) :-)

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    We have 7 over 22.20 (almost 72') now.
    Isn't 22.20 nearly 73' feet?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Isn't 22.20 nearly 73' feet?
    Good catch.
    72-10 to be precise.
    That's CRAZY!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    either that or the best 4th-place mark ever (currently 21.94 by Romani at Z last year) :-)
    It"s actually quite likely someone will throw 22+ and finish out of the medals in Doha. But when I said "major breakthrough", I meant I was hoping for something well over that. Haratyk is a bit of a questions mark at the moment, since he apparently had some health problems of late, which is why his recent results were not great (and also the reason he withdrew from Mińsk). In any case, Bukowiecki is the better championship performer of the two, so if I were to pick which Pole was the more likely to medal, I'd now go with him.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Absolutely! He is 6 competitons outdoors at 21.70 or better this year vs zero before.

He has mostly had moderate throws relative to where he is now, except for back at the end of May/start June, where he had two consecutive competitons at 21.70 or better.

In between, he dropped back a metre or so, indicating he was back in heavier training again. Now that he is peaking he has produced unprecedented consistency at big distance, as you pointed out.

I wouldn't be surprised if half his throws in Doha are 22m+ with a 22.30+ best.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Absolutely! He is 6 competitons outdoors at 21.70 or better this year vs zero before.

He has mostly had moderate throws relative to where he is now, except for back at the end of May/start June, where he had two consecutive competitons at 21.70 or better.

In between, he dropped back a metre or so, indicating he was back in heavier training again. Now that he is peaking he has produced unprecedented consistency at big distance, as you pointed out.

I wouldn't be surprised if half his throws in Doha are 22m+ with a 22.30+ best.
    Your predictions seem pretty logical.

My predictions, nationalistic as ever are:
    Walsh 22.70+ and either 1st or 2nd.
    Crouser will be 1st if Walsh is 2nd
    Jacko to make the final with 21.50+

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    interesting wrinkle in the men's shot: for the first time in recent memory qualifying will be done in two flights at different times, instead of running 2 rings at once. That's also the same day as Hept JT, which is scheduled (again, for first time in recent memory) for a single flight.

I'm assuming the demands on the venue incurred by staging both multis on the same day mandated the switches.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    interesting wrinkle in the men's shot: for the first time in recent memory qualifying will be done in two flights at different times, instead of running 2 rings at once.
    I guess in a temperature-controlled stadium in a climate with nearly zero chance of rain it's not such a big deal. Generally the problem I have with this setup is that the two groups may be competing in very different conditions.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...