Facts, Not Fiction

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Because he doesn't understand that the lists are an approximation, not science. I don't know how often i already explained this to people. What happened is, the IAAF invited a few athletes from smaller countries, changing the numbers. Or the IAAF decided not to invite the full target number. There are factors we know nothing about, hence "approximation".
    Got it. Thank you!

I thought the process was more transparent than that, and was wondering who was running fast enough this late in the game to bump him.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    Got it. Thank you!

I thought the process was more transparent than that, and was wondering who was running fast enough this late in the game to bump him.
    The process to confirm the quota places in each events
    - 1. Those with entry standard
    - 2. Approved unqualified athletes (universality)
    - 3. Top lists (or World Rankings for Tokyo 2020)

There are at least 60 countries (if not more) out of 200 which do not have qualified athletes for the world championships and thus get a wildcard for their top athlete, mostly in races. The names of these athletes are really difficult to find before the publication of the entry lists by the IAAF because those countries do not garner much international attention.

But athletes who are in the top lists need to know that wildcards athletes, whatever their number, take precedence over them.

Based on that consideration, I am not sure if many 100m sprinters will be picked from the World Rankings next year for Tokyo. A large part of the wildcards are usually granted in the 100m. It's not been rare to see 20 of them in previous championships (the preliminary rounds in the 100m...)

3. Collapse Details

Papachristou is also now out of ladies triple jump (injury)

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    So the big fish that appear to still be undeclared include China and Belarus.
    We got Belarus on the webpage now.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I can't wait until the IAAF says everything is irrevocably closed and they tell Qatar it's too late for Samba and Barshim :-)

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post

In the interview Nick gave after winning the 5th AVE Mile, he said he was #43 on the list of 45 top times (to get in) and thought he should get in. I wonder what happened.
    NZ federation also wonders what happened.... see story on home page.

I'm guessing they were taking the wondrous Road To Doha site as being an official IAAF list. Only going to show how much they dropped the ball in not having a similar info page of their own! (they = IAAF)

7. Collapse Details

The IAAF clearly hasn't yet figured out how to do the invitation process properly. Some events ended up well below the target number, e.g. 27 in mLJ (vs target of 32), 39 (vs 48) in w800 and 20 (vs 24) in Hep.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

With the entry lists out we are basically done, thanks to all who contributed. We didn't want to continue since the IAAF world rankings are a convoluted piece of crap and it would be a nightmare to program a tool that covers them properly. However Oliver doesn't really want it to end, so he is thinking about continuing, and it is all up to him because he is the programmer. I'll keep you posted.

Once again we've had a feel good story and it has an American connection: Last Saturday Sade Olatoye (Ohio State i think) contacted us to find out how she could get her transfer of allegiance from US to NGR processed and therefore get invited to Doha. Apparently the Nigerian federation had been useless in getting it forwarded to the IAAF, she was still listed as USA everywhere. On Sunday we managed to get her in touch with the right people at the IAAF, on Tuesday her transfer of allegiance was finalised and today she appeared on the IAAF entry list for Doha.
    Last edited by norunner; 09-19-2019 at 11:19 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Allow me, on behalf of everybody here, to give you guys a great shout-out for providing such a valuable resource!

10. Collapse Details

Yes! Bravo!!!!