Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    True. :-)
    Who is on 1st!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Both are incomplete. For fun i once combined German lists from IAAF, tilastopaja AND DLV and the resulting lists where still incomplete.
    Have you guys tried to cross check the IAAF lists with the tilastopaja lists to look for marks that might be missing from tilastopaja.

3. Collapse Details

I guess now that the 'Road to' lists are hosted by Tilastopaja, they are inextricably linked to their database. The only thing they can do is to notify Mirko of any missing marks, so that he can include them.

4. Collapse Details

Actually nothing has changed. Lists came from Tilastopaja for all previous versions of our webpage. We also have a function that compares to IAAF lists and shows us missing results. Both tilastopaja and IAAF have results missing. For example IAAF doesn't have Woo Sang-Hyeok KOR 2.30 from October last year, pretty important one for him since it's his qualifying result for Doha. There is a reason why i keep saying that world rankings are crap, it's simply not possible to keep up with all results from all over the world.

5. Collapse Details

But there was a discussion on Polish Twitter today on Bartłomiej Stój's chances of qualifying, and someone noticed your list was missing a mark by Alex Rose, achieved a couple of months ago in the US (included in IAAF's list) Apparently it's been added to your list now.

6. Collapse Details

Alex contacted us today, that's why it was added. Missing results aren't always easy, for example the algorithm tells me, we have Anglerne Annelus 22.16s missing. Of course we do have her as Angie. Different spelling by tilastopaja and IAAF can be enough to throw the proggie off. Ethiopian names can also be fun because they seem to have several first/last names and webpages seem to use them randomly.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Ethiopian names can also be fun because they seem to have several first/last names and webpages seem to use them randomly.
    The naming convention used in Ethiopia consist of the person's name + his/her father's name. All local results are listed this way. But in Ethiopian passports the father's name becomes the middle name and the grandfather's name is the surname.

Ex: Genzebe Dibaba / Passport name is Genzebe Dibaba KENENI. You can imagine the potential for confusion depending which name(s) is/are used by event organisers.
    That's why Netsanet Gudeta had KEBEDE on her bib at the 2018 World half-marathon championships.

8. Collapse Details

Well, I for one (and I am certain that there are many others) greatly appreciate the hard work and care that norunner, et al. have been making here.

I think that it does point out that the IAAF rankings need to include as a basic feature a mechanism for protests/corrections, and those should be able to come from the athlete (and their group), federations, and others that demonstrate the competence.

If not, they may face legal challenges that will make things difficult on tight time schedules and the legal issues will likely lead them to provide less information and on a less timely basis and things will just get worse.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Well, I for one (and I am certain that there are many others) greatly appreciate the hard work and care that norunner, et al. have been making here.

I think that it does point out that the IAAF rankings need to include as a basic feature a mechanism for protests/corrections, and those should be able to come from the athlete (and their group), federations, and others that demonstrate the competence.

If not, they may face legal challenges that will make things difficult on tight time schedules and the legal issues will likely lead them to provide less information and on a less timely basis and things will just get worse.
    Corrections are indeed possible. One possible way is by emailing info to worldrankings@iaaf.org.

10. Collapse Details

Lonah Chemtai Salpeter (ISR) will participate only in the Marathon in Doha (so you can take her out of the 5000 & 10000)