Facts, Not Fiction

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Obviously I don't know....but funding from what I gather is even more ruthless these days...as I said earlier....probably a signal to Lottery people.....no wasted funding here....
    Except, as already noted, there's no cost involved in sending athletes to WC. As long as they're not accompanied by their personal coaches, there's zero funding required.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    is it perhaps possible that competing in WC (or OG) triggers an automatic bit of lottery funding they don't want to give out the next year?

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Yes I think you are onto something there....

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Also after 2020 there probably will be another evaluation by Lottery people of funding....having a higher percentage of medalists of those competing in major championships this year and next perhaps looks better...

5. Collapse Details

I've been going to the "Selected" tab and looking at various countries. Colombia's Caterine Ibarguen is Selected for both LJ and TJ; makes sense, as she was DL champion in both last year. However, looking at the schedule, I see that the LJ quals are three hours before the TJ final. Considering her recent plantar fascitis and how badly she jumped in Brussels (6.26 after skipping the TJ in Zurich), I wonder whether she would risk taking even a "one-and-done" LJ before the TJ final.

On another note, the 'S's for Kenya do not reflect the 1-2-3 finishes and selections in the IAAF article. Only Kimeli is listed in the M 5000, and only 3 in W 5000, which could have 4, with Obiri having the WC. ???

Belgium has only Sacoor in the M 400.

Germany has no male runners selected except 2 in the M 5000. Maybe these are not complete. Klosterhalfen, like Hassan, is listed for both the 5 and 15. No Rebekka Haase; she ran in World Relays on 4x1 anchor, but she may have lost her place on the relay.

Karsten Warholm will be done with the 400H before the 400 starts.
    Poland only has two so far, so obviously this is ongoing.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    last evening in Bodega Bay, CA, USA
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    is it perhaps possible that competing in WC (or OG) triggers an automatic bit of lottery funding they don't want to give out the next year?
    No - the only absolute criteria for lottery funding from British Athletics are set at a very high level (eg a medal at a global champs for top level funding or the Europeans for second level of funding). Top 8 in world rankings should get you to the second level but there is still discretion.

There is then a whole load of subjectivity but for consideration for the fourth level of funding a male SC needs a sub 8:26 time and to be considered medal potential in 2024. Obviously this is all massively subjective but tends to lead to younger athletes getting the majority of the lower levels of funding.

The rhetoric of making it difficult to get on the team in British sport first (I think) came out of swimming when it was really in the doldrums (no medals in Sydney, two bronzes in Athens). It coincided with an uptick in performance on a global level - whether this was coincidence or due to the policy isnít possible to establish but has meant other sports have looked to copy it.

As noted, thereís a finite pool of lottery funding for Olympic sports which isnít increasing in the way it was prior to the London Olympics. Each extra medal a sport like swimming wins is a threat to the amount that a sport like athletics gets. Despite being the largest sport in terms of events and team size, athletics only gets the third most funding (behind cycling and rowing and just ahead of sailing). Itís budget is only just over three times that of triathlon - which receives £1.3m per available slot at the Olympics but also delivered with 3 medals (and a 4th) in Rio.

Still donít agree with the selection policy for Doha though - in my mind itís neither strict enough to limit the team size to the highest elite level nor generous enough to put out the largest team possible

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I see people don't follow British sports much....good reasons have nothing to do with it....only medals....not taking him along is probably a subtle hint that he should retire and a warning to everyone else....and telling the Government who run the funding that no useless athletes here....

There is no Title IX for sports....it's Darwinian over there...

'Eleven UK sports 'thrown under bus' on funding call for changes...'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/40437957
    The government has no involvement in deciding how much each sport gets in the next Olympic cycle, its overseen by UK sport, an independent body.

Selecting or not selected athletes has nothing to do with lottery funding as none of athletes mentioned receives any funding. BTW the vast majority of athletes across all sports receive in the region of £18000 a year in funding, about 2/3s of the average UK salary

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    I've been going to the "Selected" tab and looking at various countries. Colombia's Caterine Ibarguen is Selected for both LJ and TJ; makes sense, as she was DL champion in both last year. However, looking at the schedule, I see that the LJ quals are three hours before the TJ final. Considering her recent plantar fascitis and how badly she jumped in Brussels (6.26 after skipping the TJ in Zurich), I wonder whether she would risk taking even a "one-and-done" LJ before the TJ final.

On another note, the 'S's for Kenya do not reflect the 1-2-3 finishes and selections in the IAAF article. Only Kimeli is listed in the M 5000, and only 3 in W 5000, which could have 4, with Obiri having the WC. ???

Germany has no male runners selected except 2 in the M 5000. Maybe these are not complete. Klosterhalfen, like Hassan, is listed for both the 5 and 15. No Rebekka Haase; she ran in World Relays on 4x1 anchor, but she may have lost her place on the relay.
    Kenya is on an IAAF doping watchlist, therefore all selected athletes require a minimum number of tests to compete in Doha. The first two at the trials over 5000 don't have the required number of tests. Don't know why they didn't select anyone else, maybe there's some background discussion going on with IAAF.
    Germany selected an initial team after the NCs, more athletes have qualified since then but the final team has not been announced. There will be some runners added to the team but not many, our male runners are a lot weaker than our female.
    We add athletes as they were selected. For example Sifan Hassan was selected for the 1500, 5000 and 10000, she certainly won't run all three, but for the numbers it doesn't matter. If they enter her for all three, she takes up a spot for each event.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    For example Sifan Hassan was selected for the 1500, 5000 and 10000, she certainly won't run all three, but for the numbers it doesn't matter. If they enter her for all three, she takes up a spot for each event.
    The Netherlands doesn't have 3 other athletes in any of those events who have met the qualifying standard or are within reach of getting an invite, so if she enters all 3 events she's not depriving any of her countrywomen a spot (although she could cause an athlete from another country to not get invited).

In addition, Hassan also has wild cards in the 1500 and 5000 (for Diamond League wins), so her entry in those wouldn't deprive any Netherlands athletes even if they had more than 3 with the qualifying time.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    On what planet do athletes like McAlister or Coppell have a medal chance in Tokyo? They expect them to improve to 47.5 or 6m within the next 10 months?
    They were both top 2 in the trials with the standard so the criteria aren't applicable in their cases. The criteria only applies to athletes who are not automatic selections.