Facts, Not Fiction

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Of course, the Brit federation probably has a "formula" that mandates adding 3 functionaries to the traveling squad for each athlete :-)
    I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, cut back on the twerps who accompany the team and send the real athletes!!

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I see people don't follow British sports much....good reasons have nothing to do with it....only medals....not taking him along is probably a subtle hint that he should retire and a warning to everyone else....and telling the Government who run the funding that no useless athletes here....

There is no Title IX for sports....it's Darwinian over there...

'Eleven UK sports 'thrown under bus' on funding call for changes...'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/40437957
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-13-2019 at 09:44 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Would someone give a quick list of those really good athletes who won't be there?

4. Collapse Details

'The way elite sport is funded is "cut-throat" because "results are everything", five-time Olympic rowing champion Sir Steve Redgrave says.

Bullying claims in several Olympic sports have led to questions over whether winning is put before welfare.

"If they don't get the results they don't get the funding," Redgrave told BBC Radio 5 live.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/40317647

5. Collapse Details

No athlete sprang from Zeus's forehead as a champion. It takes preparation, and part of that preparation is getting on the biggest stage, so you know what it feels like, even if you're not ready to be a star.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    No athlete sprang from Zeus's forehead as a champion. It takes preparation, and part of that preparation is getting on the biggest stage, so you know what it feels like, even if you're not ready to be a star.

Poor Atticus...you don't understand the guy is a loser...30 already....chances of a medal are nil in the future....having him around makes everyone look bad...

Competition for funding is a zero-sum game, with sports hitting their medal targets showered with Lottery money and those missing out, even fractionally, left to wither on the vine. It is a little over months since an independent review of British Cycling concluded that medals were having a “blinding effect vis--vis culture”, but still the malaise seeps deeper. The latest allegations that Britain’s head para-swimming coach presided over a “climate of fear” in the programme are grimly familiar.

The bombardment of bullying claims across our Olympic sports is such that the problem appears not isolated, but institutionalised. Athletics, rowing, canoeing, taekwondo, archery and bobsleighing have all been sucked into the crisis, with sailing, judo and short-track speed-skating also understood to have shown deficiencies over athlete welfare.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/swimming...ected-pursuit/
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-13-2019 at 10:00 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Poor Atticus...you don't understand the guy is a loser...30 already....chances of a medal are nil in the future....having him around makes everyone look bad...
    You're right. I'm sorry.
    Unless you are the very best, you're just wasting the rest of our oxygen.
    Climb back into your rat-hole and don't you dare show your face among us again!!!
    The very nerve of him to consider himself worthy of our largesse.
    Off with his head!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I see people don't follow British sports much....good reasons have nothing to do with it....only medals....
    I get it that they mostly care about medals, but how does sending a few non-contenders to the WC hurt the team as a whole in terms of medal chances?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    You're right. I'm sorry.
    Unless you are the very best, you're just wasting the rest of our oxygen.
    Climb back into your rat-hole and don't you dare show your face among us again!!!
    The very nerve of him to consider himself worthy of our largesse.
    Off with his head!
    Exactly....you have the makings of a British Sports Official...no softies here!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I get it that they mostly care about medals, but how does sending a few non-contenders to the WC hurt the team as a whole in terms of medal chances?
    Obviously I don't know....but funding from what I gather is even more ruthless these days...as I said earlier....probably a signal to Lottery people.....no wasted funding here....