Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Team Canada has been named (link on home page)

2. Collapse Details

Brannon Kidder being the athlete in line for the fourth 800m spot is consistent with the letter of the pertinent USATF rules.

The ambiguity that the rules do leave is in the circumstance where an athlete, such as Harris, gets the auto standard post-Trials and there isn't an additional athlete who ran Trials, such as Kidder, who had the standard in timely fashion and is available to fill the spot.

USATF's rules state in unqualified language that to be entered with the auto standard athletes must achieve the standard no later than the end of Trials. But the rules elsewhere state that USATF will accept Doha invitations issued by IAAF to fill out events based on year-end Top Performance rankings, as long as the athlete involved competed at Trials.

The logic of IAAF's approach for Doha is that it issues the "fill the field" invitations, based on best performance, to athletes who have not achieved the auto standard, where federations have not submitted sufficient numbers of athletes who have achieved the standard to meet the target field size.

If USATF would accept invitations on behalf of athletes who have not achieved the auto standard, there would be no logic in USATF's declining the opportunity to submit an auto entry for an athlete who did achieve the standard post-Trials, where a team spot is, or becomes, available.

But there is nothing in USATF's Doha selection rules that expressly contemplates this situation.

3. Collapse Details

That's my reading, too.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    You said Swoboda might reconsider if she ran a fast time, which she hasn't, so i didn't change her status. Now you're saying a slow Ewa will still go to Doha?
    Now a moot question. She just won the Berlin ISTAF meet with a PR of 11.07.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    so I guess Josh Thompson gets bitten by USATF's no-chasing rule: 3:35.01 Q in Berlin, but even though he was 3rd at Nationals, he'll lose the spot to 4th-placer Ben Blankenship, who already had a Q pre-Des Moines

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    so I guess Josh Thompson gets bitten by USATF's no-chasing rule: 3:35.01 Q in Berlin, but even though he was 3rd at Nationals, he'll lose the spot to 4th-placer Ben Blankenship, who already had a Q pre-Des Moines
    That doesn't pass the smell test for even USATF's own 'fairness' principles.

7. Collapse Details

To add more salt to his injury, he missed teh Olympic standard by 0.01s.

8. Collapse Details
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Now a moot question. She just won the Berlin ISTAF meet with a PR of 11.07.
    But she said she would reconsider if she ran between 11.00 and 11.05. The suspense is killing me...

9. Collapse Details

Question regarding the no chasing rule: What happens in an event where you don't have 3 with the standard when an athlete gets the standard AFTER Des Moines? I am asking because Amina Smith cleared 1.94 in Bellinzona.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    see player's analysis as post #42