Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 369
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Apparently the IAAF is using cheap tricks to keep the numbers down: There's 31 entries for the men's discus, but four of them are American and all four count towards the total number. But only three of those four are allowed to compete since the USA does not have a wild card for the discus, one is obviously "in reserve". I found the same thing in other events too. 100m men, USA has five entered, Jamaica four. 200m: GBR four, Jamaica four, USA five and so on. There could be 50-100 entries wasted (but counted) because of this and as many who did not get an invite.
    Typical IAAF! I do think some events have too high of a target number of participants. However they need to be more up front about their invitation procedures from the start of the qualifying period so athletes would know.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Apparently the IAAF is using cheap tricks to keep the numbers down: There's 31 entries for the men's discus, but four of them are American and all four count towards the total number. But only three of those four are allowed to compete since the USA does not have a wild card for the discus, one is obviously "in reserve". I found the same thing in other events too. 100m men, USA has five entered, Jamaica four. 200m: GBR four, Jamaica four, USA five and so on. There could be 50-100 entries wasted (but counted) because of this and as many who did not get an invite.
    I assume that they took into account the fact that countries with four qualified entries could enter all four but do final confirmations for only three, thus using up only three quota spots.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Interestingly, Bahrain has had some female stars (albeit mostly imported). Is there really such a major difference in social attitudes between the two neighboring countries?

    No difference I think. ALL of Bahrainís female record holders of international level are not from Bahrain (I counted 18 female national records from non Bahrainis). The rest of the records are dismissive like Qatarís
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Apparently the IAAF is using cheap tricks to keep the numbers down: There's 31 entries for the men's discus, but four of them are American and all four count towards the total number. But only three of those four are allowed to compete since the USA does not have a wild card for the discus, one is obviously "in reserve". I found the same thing in other events too. 100m men, USA has five entered, Jamaica four. 200m: GBR four, Jamaica four, USA five and so on. There could be 50-100 entries wasted (but counted) because of this and as many who did not get an invite.
    And I am shocked by only 20 entries for Hep and 23 in Decathlon. Unsympathetically shocked!
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    IAAF could squeeze Nick Willis in if they wanted to.

    They bend and break enough other rules.

    It would be a good feel-good story. I think he'd have a good chance making the final too, per his recent results.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,055
    Quote Originally Posted by lefterisp View Post
    No difference I think. ALL of Bahrain’s female record holders of international level are not from Bahrain (I counted 18 female national records from non Bahrainis). The rest of the records are dismissive like Qatar’s
    First of all, that's not true. Salwa Eid Naser is half-Nigerian, but has a Bahraini father and has lived in Bahrain since an early age, so she can't be considered an import. Secondly, even if they were all naturalized, that'd still mean there is a difference between the two countries. Qatar has been importing lots of T&F athletes, but all of them male. Bahrain doesn't seem to discriminate between the sexes in this respect at least.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,055
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Apparently the IAAF is using cheap tricks to keep the numbers down: There's 31 entries for the men's discus, but four of them are American and all four count towards the total number. But only three of those four are allowed to compete since the USA does not have a wild card for the discus, one is obviously "in reserve". I found the same thing in other events too. 100m men, USA has five entered, Jamaica four. 200m: GBR four, Jamaica four, USA five and so on. There could be 50-100 entries wasted (but counted) because of this and as many who did not get an invite.
    I don't believe they're really doing it on purpose. More likely they're just haven't figured out how to go through the whole process effectively. As I noted above, some events have number well below the target, with the w800 being an extreme example (only 39 entrants compared to the target of 48).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    First of all, that's not true. Salwa Eid Naser is half-Nigerian, but has a Bahraini father and has lived in Bahrain since an early age, so she can't be considered an import. Secondly, even if they were all naturalized, that'd still mean there is a difference between the two countries. Qatar has been importing lots of T&F athletes, but all of them male. Bahrain doesn't seem to discriminate between the sexes in this respect at least.
    Didnít know about Naser, thanks. Ok that is a difference, to allow importation of female athletes as well. I hope they become an example to the local girls that women can do after all what men can do.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    First of all, that's not true. Salwa Eid Naser is half-Nigerian, but has a Bahraini father and has lived in Bahrain since an early age, so she can't be considered an import.
    That is not correct. From what I have read, she was born to Nigerian parents from Anambra state, a southern state in Nigeria. Born as Ebelechukwu Agbapuonwu, she moved, converted to Islam, and became naturalised as a Bahraini not until 2014, going over with her Nigerian Coach. So whilst for her athletics career she was Bahraini, for most of her life she was Nigerian, not Bahraini.

    She was a Bahraini import just like Kemi Adekoya, who also transferred to Bahrain the same year. As we all know, Bahrain has had a longstanding policy of fielding African-born runners, and it has been suggested some athletes were effectively bought and sold by third parties. I wouldn't want to speculate too much, but with Naser being just around 15 when she transferred, along with her Nigerian Coach....

    Note Adekoya is the latest Bahraini import to fail a dope test (stanozolol) in July this year. Her ban has been backdated to November 2018. That is in addition to Olympic marathon silver medalist Eunice Kirwa who was banned for four years in May this year, and Violah Jepchumba who was banned last year. So it's fair to say that with the buying of athletes, and a lot of said athletes failing tests, Bahrain haven't been playing nice.
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 09-20-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    or she was tested and failed would seem an equally viable explanation
    I think that's a more plausible explanation than refusing the test. Such refusal would likely result in being removed from the team altogether, rather than being switched to another event.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •