Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    Details please.
    Circa 1956, a local ( channel 9, WOR ? ) NY television show called Junior Champions. My YMCA was guests that day, and I ended up sitting next to Vince. He asked me what basketball position I played and I replied, " I'm a back court man." End of interview.

Hey, you asked...

2. Collapse Details

As I have said before, I see a lot of tennis on television especially during the grand slams because my wife was a college tennis player.

A menís five-set (and five-hour) final like today or even in the semi-finals can be epic. But having Best-Of-Five in the early rounds makes no sense. It allows fewer matches on the main courts, creates more scheduling havoc when there is rain, and delays the start of doubles action the first few days.

Iíd have the men do Best-Of-Three at least the first two rounds of grand slams when seeded players are only playing unseeded players.

As for baseball, I find radio coverage fine in the car or as background while I am on my computer or the kitchen table at home.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    As I have said before, I see a lot of tennis on television especially during the grand slams because my wife was a college tennis player.

A menís five-set (and five-hour) final like today or even in the semi-finals can be epic. But having Best-Of-Five in the early rounds makes no sense. It allows fewer matches on the main courts, creates more scheduling havoc when there is rain, and delays the start of doubles action the first few days.
    As with most sports, sometimes it is just the pace of the match or game rather than the length of time which makes it interesting or tedious. I found yesterday's doubles match had me reaching for the razor bades. Today's men's final was great to watch.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    At least T & F is ahead of fishing! We've got that going for us.
    I fear an accurate accounting would find that conclusion wanting.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    At least T & F is ahead of fishing! We've got that going for us.
    I doubt that....there are lots of fishing shows on...especially in the midwest...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I doubt that....there are lots of fishing shows on...especially in the midwest...
    Do any live spectators ever watch fishing as a sport?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    As with most sports, sometimes it is just the pace of the match or game rather than the length of time which makes it interesting or tedious. I found yesterday's doubles match had me reaching for the razor bades. Today's men's final was great to watch.
    Having watched some of both matches, the singles had more 'human drama' and when there is only one player each side of the net you have more excitement around whether they will be able to get the ball back or not.

8. Collapse Details

I have to disagree. I find doubles far more interesting than singles which after a while is the same thing over and over again.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    I have to disagree. I find doubles far more interesting than singles which after a while is the same thing over and over again.
    To be fair, I often do prefer to watch doubles. One advantage it does have is 4 different servers and returners which does make for more variety between points and games.

10. Collapse Details

When you're ten years old and have zero responsibility during the summer, listening to baseball on the radio on a hot, humid night is great. For me, it was Joe Nuxall and Marty Brennaman covering the Big Red Machine in the early 1970s. Now, I have other things I have to do or want to do.