Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Did he get the job?
    Yes - then went out on his own. Doing great now. Great story. Students of the sport will know who the guy is.

2. Collapse Details

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absense.

3. Collapse Details

I really don't give a crap if some person who isn't an elite in the open class does this sort of thing, so I don't understand why people obsess over it.

I also don't like blaming people for the volitional actions of another human being, so I'm torn as to my proper response to this.

4. Collapse Details

It's one thing to brag about one's fake achievements. There is no "victim" there.

But it's another to steal other people's awards and records, especially iconic records like Whitlock's WR.

I didn't pay much attention to Kip Litton or Mike Rossi. But this one took the cheating to an entirely different level.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Litton was interesting because he took it to such comical levels...travelling around the country...spending lots of money....he was in his 40s and his times, while fast, weren't that noteworthy for his age...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    It's one thing to brag about one's fake achievements. There is no "victim" there.

But it's another to steal other people's awards and records, especially iconic records like Whitlock's WR.
    Ripping off Whitlock was a really lousy thing to do.

7. Collapse Details

I remember being told a few years back that in its early days the London Marathon had to keep an eye out for people using the Greenwich Foot Tunnel under the Thames to cut off a chunk of the race. I think using it would get you from about the 7 mile mark to about the 17 in about half a mile. I assume timing mats have reduced the issue in terms of age-group prizes but they do initially first publish the masters category results as provisional. The main reason for this is probably the situation when, for example, a 65 year old decides he is not fit to run and, very much against the rules, gives his number to his son or a younger clubmate.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    I remember being told a few years back that in its early days the London Marathon had to keep an eye out for people using the Greenwich Foot Tunnel under the Thames to cut off a chunk of the race. I think using it would get you from about the 7 mile mark to about the 17 in about half a mile. I assume timing mats have reduced the issue in terms of age-group prizes but they do initially first publish the masters category results as provisional. The main reason for this is probably the situation when, for example, a 65 year old decides he is not fit to run and, very much against the rules, gives his number to his son or a younger clubmate.
    Timing mats aren't even necessary. Back before the proliferation of RFID chips, you just would have needed a few old guys with clip boards, as the numbers of runners participating would have been much smaller. In fact, when I ran the Heart of America a few years ago, that was the method they used to give each and every runner 3 mile splits for the entire race without setting up a large number of timing mats.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Litton was interesting because he took it to such comical levels...travelling around the country...spending lots of money....he was in his 40s and his times, while fast, weren't that noteworthy for his age...
    I googled a 2012 New Yorker article about him. It is fascinating.

10. Collapse Details

A reminder that there are cheats in other spheres:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...cheated-toilet

Headline: Grandmaster flush: Chess player cheated in toilet