Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    The pro-cheating people told me it is a victimless crime and that reporting of facts is bullying.
    Bullying whom, the cheat? That's boggling.

And are there really people who are "pro-cheating"? That, too, is incredible.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    cheating in the sport has always been with us, I'm sure. Every era, I suspect, has had people, for example, who slip in lightweight throwing implements.
    Spyridon Belokas was disqualified from third in the 1896 Oly marathon for not running the whole way. Fred Lorz was disqualified from first in the 1904 Oly marathon for getting some help from a car (and was semi-successful at playing it as a joke since he missed too much of the course to have much chance to get away with it). The many legends around the 1900 Oly marathon include allegations of course-cutting, though no one got disqualified for it.

So, yes, definitely true in the case of the marathon.
    Last edited by LopenUupunut; 07-06-2019 at 08:58 PM.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Yeah but in those days the marathon was seen as kind of an insane distance to run....almost a sort of death march...not surprised some treated it as a joke...Marathonings first inspiration was Phidippades who literally died doing one....

That kind of attitude soon changed....most likely with Clarence DeMar....who won Boston 7 times...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-06-2019 at 10:05 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    cheating in the sport has always been with us, I'm sure. Every era, I suspect, has had people, for example, who slip in lightweight throwing implements.

One of my favorites was a national champion in the javelin who made a habit of throwing from 20-feet or so across the line in warmups. If he had a flat throw (which was common in the old-jav days) that made marking difficult he'd run out to the official and point to a mark in the turf he had made with one of his warmups and apparently had a pretty good success rate at badgering an official into measuring to that point.
    Wow...that's kind of ballsy....

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Wow...that's kind of ballsy....
    Typical sociopath.

6. Collapse Details

On a related theme Hail the Conquering Hero is a great comedy based on how a small deception develops into something that runs out of control.

7. Collapse Details

Conor - yeah I don't get that kind of lying. Reminds me a lot of this:

On my department thre was a guy (since retired) who for years claimed he was a 3:51.7 miler in the 60's. I'd heard this through the grapevine, but he worked on a different shift and we rarely crossed paths. However, he traded shifts once and worked at my station and T&F was on TV and he made that claim to me. He had no idea I was such a fan and could actually call his bluff...which I did...and I found out how mad liars get when you call them on things. I said, "you know that you're claiming to have been as fast as the WR holder Jim Ryan." He said; "I finished 3rd to Ryan in his WR race!" I was incredulous and not mature enough to just say "whatever, dude" and walk away. We had one of those Umpire-manager face-to-face arguments and he even sort of chest-bumped me until our Lt. finally broke us up.

The next shift he apologized and said he remembered wrong and it was a 3:57.1 and he gave me two old Sci Fi books as an apology. I just smiled, shrugged, and thanked him for the books.

I'll never understand people's motivations for lying, especially about things that are verifiable.
    Last edited by scottmitchell74; 07-06-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

8. Collapse Details

A lot of times people are bragging to others who know squat about the sport and consequently get away with it. ..at the University of Nottingham a faculty member I knew told me one day that she had run a 1:12 half marathon....this was 20 years ago....I knew that was pretty unlikely since I knew a lot of the top female British distance runners from that era...and kept track of top times....and her name never rang a bell...but to make sure I checked and I couldn't find any half marathons she had run let alone 72:00.

I never did say anything about it since she was pleasant and probably didn't really realize what she was talking about.

9. Collapse Details

This thread reminded me of another thread on track phony's we had a while back: https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...ead.php?135101. Despite how often I catch people fibbing about their achievements I never cease to be shocked at people's willingness to lie through their teeth.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Conor - yeah I don't get that kind of lying. Reminds me a lot of this:

On my department thre was a guy (since retired) who for years claimed he was a 3:51.7 miler in the 60's. I'd heard this through the grapevine, but he worked on a different shift and we rarely crossed paths. However, he traded shifts once and worked at my station and T&F was on TV and he made that claim to me. He had no idea I was such a fan and could actually call his bluff...which I did...and I found out how mad liars get when you call them on things. I said, "you know that you're claiming to have been as fast as the WR holder Jim Ryan." He said; "I finished 3rd to Ryan in his WR race!" I was incredulous and not mature enough to just say "whatever, dude" and walk away. We had one of those Umpire-manager face-to-face arguments and he even sort of chest-bumped me until our Lt. finally broke us up.

The next shift he apologized and said he remembered wrong and it was a 3:57.1 and he gave me two old Sci Fi books as an apology. I just smiled, shrugged, and thanked him for the books.

I'll never understand people's motivations for lying, especially about things that are verifiable.
    Lol at the Sci fi books.