Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What Me Worry? (Yes!) Mad Magazine going under.
    From ages 10-15, I was a Mad-man for Mad magazine! I still remember it fondly, and mourn its passing. RIP, Alfred E. Neuman!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/media...rnd/index.html

2. Collapse Details

Sad but predictable.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Sad but predictable.
    Yes that is so true. I think all magazines are probably on life support. Newspapers are not much better off.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    when I was in the sixth or seventh grade my father tried to talk me out of buying MAD because it had too much sex in it!

5. Collapse Details

It was formative for me too, pretty much as Atticus said,above. But my surprise at this thread is that it was still out there at all. I would have guessed that it ended publication years ago.

ps. I missed whatever sex was in the magazine. I really just read it for the interviews.

6. Collapse Details

Washington Post column has this headlime:

>>Mad magazine’s demise is part of the ending of a world<<

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.7affd9fca9bb

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Washington Post column has this headlime:
    >>Mad magazine’s demise is part of the ending of a world<<
    I LOVE that article!
    Two quick excerpts that perfectly define my own appreciation for it:

The demise of Mad magazine . . . a title targeted with exquisite precision at middle-school boys. They are Nature’s neglected travelers, parked on an apron while the girls they used to know go racing down the evolutionary runway and take flight into the wild blue of adulthood. Because life has, for the moment, scorned them, they return the favor, and for a couple of generations, Mad was both a tutor and a tool of their anarchy. Its cartooned pages confirmed their suspicions that parents are hypocrites, that heroes have clay feet, that popular culture is a ripoff and that a guy might as well laugh at existence because existence is already laughing at him. “What, me worry?” asked mascot Alfred E. Neuman, eternally hapless, perpetually 13.

Don Martin, dubbed “Mad’s maddest artist,” rendered a world full of ridiculous-looking adults with goofy faces, flabby guts and weirdly hinged oversize feet. These characters went blundering through familiar situations oblivious to their own pathos, accompanied by Martin’s inimitable written sound effects. “GISHKLURK,” for example, was the sound of Moses parting his soup, while “doop” was the sound of food falling from the mouth of someone choking and “SPLITCH” was the sound of a tomato in the face. (Martin’s vanity license plate read SHTOINK, which of course is what you hear when a nurse jabs your finger with a syringe.)

8. Collapse Details

Spy vs Spy vs Spy was pretty good.

I recall their producing a 45 RPM record entitled “It’s a Gas” which was an instrumental until a the chorus line of a guy belching.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    I recall their producing a 45 RPM record entitled “It’s a Gas” which was an instrumental until a the chorus line of a guy belching.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6le600NWk0

I too had a copy back in the day.
    Last edited by wamego relays champ; 07-08-2019 at 03:46 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    It's that kind of pre-pubescent arrested-development 'humor' that was the hallmark of Mad. Any scatalogical pun was in play, and the 10-15yo me thought is was hysterical simply because it was so 'wrong'. Reading Mad and then Playboy were my two favorite 'naughty' things to do. Life was just funner (!) back when I thought I was getting away with something.