Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    For starters, the Democrats' Green New Deal with its corollary ideas: student loan forgiveness - free college! - minimum guaranteed income, every building retrofitted to sustainable energy sources, etc., is a wonderful idea, and we desperately need much of it, but the cost is impossible. It's great to come up with these ideas, but someone, somewhere, somehow, has to pay for it all.
    I'm anti-almost everything Republican, but that doesn't mean I'm all in on every Dem pie-in-the-sky notion. I want a progressive Moderate!
    By the way, free college was a thing for many years for many state universities - people moved to California to establish residency. It is not a radical idea at all but what was the norm in some parts of the country.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    By the way, free college was a thing for many years for many state universities - people moved to California to establish residency. It is not a radical idea at all but what was the norm in some parts of the country.
    When FAR fewer kids went on to college.

3. Collapse Details

And this too shall pass.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    The two party system is broken for me. The last election was the biggest no-win in US history. I've never felt such despondency trying to figure out who/what to vote for.
    The two party system is broken, period.

A voting system where you can vote for no more than one candidate in each contest, and they can win without a majority, ultimately stabilizes on two dominant parties. Over the course of decades or centuries, a party may fall and get replaced by a different party, but then it's still back to two dominant parties. Third parties and independents can't get much votes when voters see that voting for one of them means losing the opportunity to have a say in the battle between the two dominant players.

To break up the two-party system requires changing the voting system to one that allows each voter to vote for multiple candidates in each contest, such as ranked choice voting or approval voting. Ranked choice voting is hard to explain in a short forum post, so I won't try that right now, but approval voting is simply voting for as many candidates as you like in each contest, and the winner is whoever gets the most votes. Either way, you get to vote for the independent/third party candidates without feeling like it's a wasted vote, because you can also vote for whichever of the two dominant players you hate the least.

Maine used ranked choice voting in the 2018 election to choose their Senator and 2 House members. Hopefully more states will follow suit.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I would have no problem with a non-partisan discussion on this subject on the regular Not Track forum

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Flumpy View Post
    Genuine question.

What behaviour on the Democrats side do you deem to be unreasonable on the same scale as GOP/Trump?
    Good question, Flumpy. When I think of GOP Senators McConnell, Ernst, Cotton, Rubio, and others, I see people of integrity (to the degree any of us really know them).

I will admit that Trump is the proverbial bull in a china shop, but former Senators Ted Kennedy and Harry Reid come to mind as equally unreasonable. Kennedy behaved atrociously when it came to his treatment of women, and Reid lied with the ease most people breathe. Kennedy knowingly lied about Judge Bork in his despicable "Bork's America" speech, and yet continued his false accusations to great effect. Reid knowingly lied about Mitt Romney's taxes, but repeated the charge time and again with great effect. They both had an air of respectability (which Trump does not exhude), but that only hid the depth of their unreasonable behavior.

Sometimes I want to yell, "A pox on both their houses", but by and large, we have elected officials who try their best to govern well.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    The first thing the US should do is get rid of the electoral college and just have a nationwide vote where every vote is counted as an equal to every other vote. It ain’t 17 bloody 76 any more.
    Yup!

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    McConnell....integrity? Right....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/o...-politics.html

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    I was going to celebrate the 4th of July with variants of Old Glory from every era from our great country's history. I was going to revel in the power and might of free people as John Adams suggested I do...but then I watched the "News" and I realized that doing all that would be a clear signal that I was a devilish racist so Im just going to hate America and its history instead.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    What exact policies of the Democrats do you find so horrible?
    Their support of partial birth abortion.

I do not think Democrats who support it are horrible, but I think the policy is horrible.