Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    The two party system is broken for me. The last election was the biggest no-win in US history. I've never felt such despondency trying to figure out who/what to vote for.

Flumpy - genuine answer - if I have to answer that for you that means you can't see the problems on the left...which means you won't see them...and nothing I can say will change that.

I'm moderate...which means I'm torn. The last few elections are 45-55 or 48-52 battles in my mind. I hate it. Both sides have policies, beliefs, actions I like/agree with and both have stuff I hate. I have to get the Scales out and do my best and then swallow the bitter pill that comes with my vote.

I like Atticus' idea, or some form of it.

I'm sure I'll think of more things on this topic when I'm in the shower or driving or running but that's it for now.
    You can't be moderate if you're trying to decide on which side to vote. Trump would never be a vote for a moderate.

2. Collapse Details

Flumpy - genuine answer - if I have to answer that for you that means you can't see the problems on the left...which means you won't see them...and nothing I can say will change that.
    Come on scott, that's a cop out. Flumpy's question seemed genuine to me, not rhetorical. If you believe that elected Democrats have behaved as poorly recently as elected Republicans, certainly you can cite a few examples. Can you at least us which elected Democrat you believe has conducted himself as poorly as Trump?

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It may be time for **gasp** the ONE-party system, where anyone can run as an Independent for an office in a primary and then we have a run-off. You campaign on a personal agenda and if voters like it, they vote for YOU, not the party. And there is no 'party apparatus' to put people in position to be elected (cf. Communist Party in USSR), nor is there bloc-voting in Congress.
    A personal agenda? Without control of Congress you can't do anything....and that requires a party....

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The two party system is broken for me. The last election was the biggest no-win in US history. I've never felt such despondency trying to figure out who/what to vote for.

I'm moderate...which means I'm torn. The last few elections are 45-55 or 48-52 battles in my mind. I hate it. Both sides have policies, beliefs, actions I like/agree with and both have stuff I hate. I have to get the Scales out and do my best and then swallow the bitter pill that comes with my vote.

I like Atticus' idea, or some form of it.

I'm sure I'll think of more things on this topic when I'm in the shower or driving or running but that's it for now.
    What exact policies of the Democrats do you find so horrible?

5. Collapse Details

For starters, the Democrats' Green New Deal with its corollary ideas: student loan forgiveness - free college! - minimum guaranteed income, every building retrofitted to sustainable energy sources, etc., is a wonderful idea, and we desperately need much of it, but the cost is impossible. It's great to come up with these ideas, but someone, somewhere, somehow, has to pay for it all.
    I'm anti-almost everything Republican, but that doesn't mean I'm all in on every Dem pie-in-the-sky notion. I want a progressive Moderate!

6. Collapse Details

Yes, but those are ideas for discussion. None of those ideas are going to be put to a vote with any chance of passage. Kennedy set a goal - the moon - and it took years to get to the moon. You set a goal - healthcare4all - and then set about getting there. Not going to happen in one bite.

7. Collapse Details

For starters, the Democrats' Green New Deal with its corollary ideas: student loan forgiveness - free college! - minimum guaranteed income, every building retrofitted to sustainable energy sources, etc., is a wonderful idea, and we desperately need much of it, but the cost is impossible. It's great to come up with these ideas, but someone, somewhere, somehow, has to pay for it all.
    I'm anti-almost everything Republican, but that doesn't mean I'm all in on every Dem pie-in-the-sky notion. I want a progressive Moderate!
    Having noble but maybe unrealistic ideas is not the same as putting kids in cages, encouraging election interferene from enemy nations, palling around with dictators or raping people !!

The false equivelancy of pretending policies you're not keen on and the behaviour of this president are the same thing is completely ridiculous.

Nodody has actually answered Flumpy's questions

Edited to add. If a country can find trillions of dollars to go round bombing half the world they can certainly do the same to try and help save the world
    i deserve extra credit

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Flumpy View Post
    Genuine question.

What behaviour on the Democrats side do you deem to be unreasonable on the same scale as GOP/Trump?
    That’s not what Scott said. A big train wreck, a small train wreck - both are train wrecks.

9. Collapse Details

It may be time for **gasp** the ONE-party system, where anyone can run as an Independent for an office in a primary and then we have a run-off. You campaign on a personal agenda and if voters like it, they vote for YOU, not the party. And there is no 'party apparatus' to put people in position to be elected (cf. Communist Party in USSR), nor is there bloc-voting in Congress.
    The first thing the US should do is get rid of the electoral college and just have a nationwide vote where every vote is counted as an equal to every other vote. It ain’t 17 bloody 76 any more.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Can you at least us which elected Democrat you believe has conducted himself as poorly as Trump?
    Umm
    Umm
    I nominate .....
    Umm
    I need more time