Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    I love you guys so much! That was therapy!!

2. Collapse Details

Oh - forum is locked again.

Isn't it still 4 July in at least some parts of the Continental US?

3. Collapse Details

Talking about what constitutes free speech, the definitive ruling on that is likely to be made by the Supreme Court of Australia in Israel Folau (IF) v Rugby Australia RA).

IF, far and away the best rugby player in Australia, had his contract terminated by RA for posting on FB and/twitter that all gays will go to hell because God says so.

RA says this breached his employment contract. If says RA has reached his freedom to practice his religious beliefs.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    Talking about what constitutes free speech, the definitive ruling on that is likely to be made by the Supreme Court of Australia in Israel Folau (IF) v Rugby Australia RA).

IF, far and away the best rugby player in Australia, had his contract terminated by RA for posting on FB and/twitter that all gays will go to hell because God says so.

RA says this breached his employment contract. If says RA has reached his freedom to practice his religious beliefs.
    Tauriki, I think you misunderstand the case.

It is not about free speech because Australia doesn't constitutionally have any, except for a very limited "implied freedom of political discourse" necessary to support the political process. This is known in legal terms as a shit freedom.

Folau is actually trying to use the argument that the actual right of religious freedom overrides his employment contract.

Basically, he did some gay baiting and Rugby Australia said, "this makes RA look like a gay hating sport and we want their money, so we won't renew your contract if you keep doing that."

So Folau wanted his millions to play and agreed to not gay bait and he signed a contract to that effect.

Then he went and gay baited again because "god" and RA said "You breached your contract, so fuck off." He then sued because god says "No, RA, you fuck off, because Israel is just quoting my words".

So the High Court will actually be deciding in the case of God (ly gay baiting) vs Mammon ('s absolute control of workers' lives).

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    ... for better or worse (probably the latter), the Free Speech forum is open
    The irony (for me) is that in my real life, I have no 'free speech' because I never know who is going to be offended by any reference to religion or politics, and it's not worth the risk. So my 'venting' here may indeed be therapeutic. Some 'things' drive me crazy (OK, crazier) and I just have to spew it out (and my wife has heard it all - she sweetly nods and says, 'yes, dear').

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    best part of my day was visiting a politics board in the yonder reaches of the interwebs and yakking about the hitch-kick versus hang technique in the long jump.
    Excellent!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The irony (for me) is that in my real life, I have no 'free speech' because I never know who is going to be offended by any reference to religion or politics, and it's not worth the risk. So my 'venting' here may indeed be therapeutic. Some 'things' drive me crazy (OK, crazier) and I just have to spew it out (and my wife has heard it all - she sweetly nods and says, 'yes, dear').
    Pretty sure that's what trackcanuck was referring to. Yes, we have Free Speech in the US...but do we really in a practical sense if we want to get along with the humans?

So I agree with Atticus, yesterday was a sort of "blowing out the pipes" cathartic experience.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Lausanne!
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post

The rugby player should remember these words : "You will be judged by the same standard you use to judge others, and measured by the same measure you use to measure others."

Gay hating "Christians" cannot point to one single remark attributed to Jesus regarding homosexuality because there isn't one, but those were his words along with plenty to say on every serious sort of moral transgression.

I wonder if not using your brain should be considered a sin. Intellectual sloth.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 07-05-2019 at 02:55 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

So I agree with Atticus, yesterday was a sort of "blowing out the pipes" cathartic experience.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Lausanne!
    You took the words out of my mouth!

10. Collapse Details

For those who like this sort of "expression of ideas" opportunity may I recommend you sign up for the Washington Post. They have a pretty open comments section. If you have Amazon Prime I think this comes with it.